Sports

Super 7: Top Terrier athletes to watch in 2012-13

Boston University’s America East teams may be ineligible for the conference’s postseason tournaments, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be plenty going on for BU athletics on the fields, courts and rinks the next nine months.

Here’s a look at seven – not necessarily the top seven, just an important seven – difference-makers everyone should keep an eye on. They’re all upperclassmen, they’re all quite talented and they’re all unquestionably integral to their respective team’s success.

Michael Bustamante, men’s soccer senior midfielder

At 5-foot-9 and 160 pounds, Bustamante isn’t exactly the most imposing force on the field. But, boy, does he know how to create opportunities.

Bustamante, the owner of 23 assists to go with his six career goals, is back for one more season in the scarlet and white after redshirting last year because of a back injury.

He should be a mainstay in the midfield for a Terrier squad picked second in the preseason coaches’ poll and could prove to be invaluable off the field too. Bustamante is one of just two seniors on a team that is bringing 18 freshmen and sophomores into the fold.

Men’s hockey junior forward Matt Nieto will be a key piece for the Terriers this season, who look to make it deeper into the NCAA tournament this year. PHOTO BY JUNHEE CHUNG/DFP STAFF

Matt Nieto, men’s hockey junior forward

Nieto, far and away the team’s top returning scorer after 42 points (16 goals, 26 assist) during a tumultuous 2011-12 campaign, should be the first-line left wing when BU opens the season in mid-October.

There are a variety of factors that should motivate the Long Beach, Calif., native, among them the fact that he’s one of six remaining members of a junior class that has won no championships or tournaments while at BU. There could also be a desire to change public perception of a team that suffered a trio of mid-season departures last season.

But if team pride on more level than one isn’t enough incentive, well, there’s always a possible pro contract hanging over his head – The San Jose Sharks made him their second-round pick (47th overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

D.J. Irving, men’s basketball junior point guard

This year, the answer to how successful the men’s basketball team is could be simple: How successful is D.J. Irving?

The 6-foot, 165-pound Irving has commanded the Terrier offense for much of his first two seasons, and last year he ranked second on the team in points per game (11.4) and steals (31). His 5.4 assists per game led the conference.

So, needless to say, second-year coach Joe Jones will rely on the All-America East Second Team selection quite a bit as the Terriers wage war in their final year as members of the America East Conference.

Irving’s leadership off the court may prove crucial, too, as he is one of just three juniors on a team without a senior to its credit.

Marie-Philip Poulin, women’s hockey junior forward

Once dubbed “the Sidney Crosby of women’s hockey,” Poulin recorded 47 points (24 goals, 23 assists) her rookie year before missing more than half of her sophomore season with a spleen injury.

Still, Poulin, who served as an assistant captain during the team’s run to a Hockey East title and NCAA Tournament appearance last season, displayed flashes of the dominance that head coach Brian Durocher has come to expect. She wrapped up her season with seven goals and nine assists in the last six games.

With the graduation of leading point-scorer Jenn Wakefield, expect Poulin to carry a much, much heavier load on offense this year. She could very well lead BU to yet another NCAA Tournament, which would be the program’s third straight in its brief history.

Women’s soccer junior midfielder Kylie Strom looks to fill the void left by alumna Jessica Luscinski and help the Terriers repeat last year’s success. PHOTO BY AMANDA SWINHART/DFP STAFF

Kylie Strom, women’s soccer junior midfielder

Strom stepped up for the America East champions last season, collecting 19 points (eight goals, three assists), good for second on the team.

But without the graduated Jessica Luscinski, she will have to take another big step up if 18-year head coach Nancy Feldman and her crew are to again crush America East opponents, a task the team has become so accustomed to completing.

Taking that step is very do-able. In addition to her eight goals, one fewer than Luscinski’s team-high nine, Strom was one of seven Terriers to start in all 23 games in 2011.

She has a knack for the clutch performance, too: Five of her eight goals were game-winners.

Mo Moran, women’s basketball senior guard

Make no mistake – When the women’s basketball team takes the floor this winter, most eyes will be on two-time America East Player of the Year Chantell Alford.

Caitlynn “Mo” Moran, however, has excelled as a lead member of Alford’s supporting cast each of the last three years. Last year, as the team easily handled regular-season America East competition, Moran played a team-high 36.5 minutes per game and became the 21st player in the history of the program to cross to 1,000-point plateau.

Her 10.9 points per game made her second behind only Alford, and this year, with another season of experience under her belt, Moran is poised to be player “1A” to Alford’s “1” as the Terriers look to trounce the conference – again.

Holli Floetker, softball junior pitcher

For the last two years, Floetker has been nothing short of an ace for Shawn Rychcik and the BU softball team.

And now, with Rychcik off to NC State and first-year coach Kathryn Gleason in charge of the Terriers, Floetker should be still an ace.

The Fountain Valley, Calif., native and her sub-2.00 career collegiate ERA won 19 games last year – nearly half of the team’s 41 total victories – and tossed the team’s only no-hitter, an 8-0 triumph over the University of Rhode Island.

She might be the baby of the pitching staff – seniors Erin Schuppert and Whitney Tuthill are the only other pitchers on the roster, with the class of 2016 yet to be announced – but when it comes down to it, Floetker is a star on the mound for the Terriers.