Student in hit-and-run hospitalized for minor injuries

The Boston Police Department is investigating a hit-and-run that left a Boston University student injured Sunday night at the corner of Commonwealth Avenue and St. Mary’s Street.

Police are in front of Marsh Plaza on Saturday night investigating a hit-and-run that injured a Boston University student. CHRIS LISINSKI/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

BPD officer James Kenneally told The Daily Free Press that a motorcycle struck a female pedestrian in a hit-and-run.

He said the victim was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital with “non-life threatening injuries.”

Kenneally said there were no updates to report at this time, as the investigation is ongoing.

“We’re still looking for the individual who operated the motorcycle,” Kenneally said.

BU spokesman Colin Riley said the pedestrian was a returning student. The accident occurred at around 7:50 p.m.

“I understand she’s in stable condition,” he said.

Crisis counseling was offered to individuals who witnessed the accident, Riley said.

Police cars blocked off the two main lanes of Commonwealth Avenue near Marsh Plaza after the accident, as traffic officers detoured vehicles onto the shoulder of the road.

Both Boston University Police Department and BPD vehicles were present at the scene.

Massachusetts’ legislation states that drivers must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks when traffic signals are not in place.

However, traffic signals appeared to be operational at the scene of the accident.

Officers at the scene encouraged pedestrians to observe traffic signals when crossing the street.

Hit-and-run accidents are punishable by law in Massachusetts.

The law states that any driver who does not stop and provide his or her information “shall be punished” with between six months and two years imprisonment and a fine of between $500 and $1,000.