After 4 months, police still investigating slain Graduate School of Management student

More than four months after a Boston University Graduate School of Management student was shot and killed in Allston, police are still searching for the shooter.

“The investigation remains ongoing, but no arrests have been made at this time,” said Boston Police Chief Robert Healey.

Kanagala Rao, a 24-year-old Indian citizen studying in Boston, was on his way to his friend’s house just before 3 a.m. on April 19 when he was shot in front of 139 Allston St.

“The family thinks something must be done immediately, but some investigations take years,” said Mohan Nannapaneni, executive vice president of the Telugu Association of North America, who assisted Rao’s family after his death.

The father gave a statement to the police claiming his son was dragged out of his residence in Allston before he was shot, but that was not confirmed by his roommate, Nannapaneni said.

“I can understand the father’s agony, but these things take time,” he said. “His father isn’t happy because nothing is happening [in the case]. These things don’t happen overnight.”

Two weeks before he died, Rao reported to police that he was mugged, Nannapaneni said.

Though Nannapaneni said he heard it was gang related, he said he believes it was a random act.

“Wrong time, wrong place,” he said.

The Boston Police Department is in charge of the investigation, but the Boston University Police Department remains available to assist BPD in the case.

“It’s disappointing if someone isn’t arrested and convicted in a homicide case,” said BUPD Detective Lt. Peter Didomenica. “Some cases get solved right away, some never do. You can’t predict or set any expectations in solving a homicide. There’s always hope that something will come up, that someone might remember something or decide they want to talk [to the police].”

Didomenica said there are always crime problems in a city, so students should know their surroundings and use general common sense.

In light of the homicide, he said BUPD does not have jurisdiction in Allston to improve policing in the area. BUPD tries to use its webpage, Facebook and Twitter to remind students about safety on campus, he said.

“You have to be aware, never travel alone at night, especially with headphones on, avoid isolated places and travel with others when possible,” he said.

Students living in Allston said safety in the area concerns them. “I’m more concerned living in Allston than when I used to live on campus,” said Michelle Johnson, a School of Management senior. “I took some time to look up crime stats, and I’ll definitely take some more precautions.”

“Allston doesn’t have the blue light system like the rest of campus, so I’m more likely to walk home with a friend,” she said.

Katie Von Wald, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said residents of Allston need to learn to be careful when you live in a city.

“Allston even in the day is a little sketchy, but I feel safe around Comm. Ave.,” said Jamie Klufts, a junior in Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences. “BUPD does a good job on campus.”