After running for 115 years, MBTA shares history, trivia with T commuters in advertisements

In addition to Charlie’s latest reappearance and the new opening of the CharlieCard Store in Downtown Crossing, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority continues celebrating its 115 birthday by sharing the T’s history with its riders.

To celebrate the T’s 115th anniversary, the MBTA is launching a campaign with ads highlighting fun facts about the history of the T. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL LIN/DFP STAFF

Starting this week, T riders on their daily commute in subway cars and buses will be able to read fun facts and history of the MBTA, according to an MBTA press release.

The ads, dubbed “CuriousiTy,” inform riders of the history of America’s first subway system.

They feature the history behind the names of the different lines — the Blue Line was named because it travels under the ocean — and reveal that the train to Maverick was once the world’s largest underwater tunnel.

The CuriosiTy campaign was produced by the MBTA’s marketing team, MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said in an email.

The MBTA will not have to pay for the ad space where the facts are placed, he said.

Christopher Lynch, a member of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation’s performance management team and innovation team, researched the CuriousiTy facts, according to the press release.

In the fiscal year 2013, the MBTA projected a budget deficit of $185 million.

But Pesaturo said that placing the ads inside buses and T trains will not in any way affect the MBTA’s deficit.

Public transportation in Boston has had a rich history throughout its 115 years, said Massachusetts Department of Transportation Secretary and CEO Richard Davey in the press release.

“We try hard to keep our customers up to date with the latest technology like mobile apps, mobile ticketing and our new countdown clocks,” he said. “This CuriosiTy Campaign is a fun way to remind our customers that we’ve always had this innovative spirit.”

The MBTA’s customers are very knowledgeable and informed about the services the MBTA has to offer, said MBTA Acting General Manager Jonathan Davis in the press release.

“We hope transporting them back in time to the start of service in 1897 and some big milestones in between will brighten their trip,” he said.

The unveiling of the CuriousiTy facts are only a part of a larger birthday celebration, which includes the CharlieCard Store opening in Downtown Crossing and the first “Charlie” mascot appearance, according to the press release.

Some commuters at the Kenmore T station said the ads sounded interesting.

Emily Gagnon, a resident of the Back Bay, said the factual ads are fun to look at.

“I used to commute from the Back Bay and I’m a long-time T user — me and the T go way back,” Gagnon said at the Kenmore T station. “I think the ads are interesting and in the future I’d probably read them.”

Tatyana Ivanova, a Boston resident originally from Russia, said she was not interested in seeing the T’s facts in buses and trains.

“Why should I be interested in the MBTA?” she said. “[The ads] really never occurred to me, I only use the T from time to time.”

The ads would make no difference in her daily commute, she said.

Debbie Smith, a Middleboro resident, said she had not seen the ads before but liked the idea.

“I like trivia and fun facts,” Smith said. “I would read them if I was in the T and it would be fun to learn more about the T’s history.”

Brian Andrews, a Newton resident, said the ads would not enhance his experience but he sees the appeal.

“I don’t care much for trivia,” Andrews said. “But it is a good way to get T riders thinking about their ride and where they are sitting.”