BU dining ranked high for variety, health

Walking through Marciano Commons and other campus dining halls, Boston University students said they can find not only vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options, but also carbohydrate-loaded alternatives for study breaks.

The Daily Meal ranked Boston University’s food offerings the 23rd best college food in the nation. PHOTO BY SARAH ANOLIK/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

“I like how many options there are, so I could, but I don’t have to just eat burgers and fries everyday,” said Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences sophomore Cristina Kossak.

BU was ranked 23rd in the best colleges for food in America by The Daily Meal on Friday .

“Continuing to provide food, services, new options and healthy options is something that [BU] Dining Services does on an ongoing basis, and they’re very successful at it,” said BU spokesman Colin Riley. “They’re very responsive to student likes and interested in and always looking for things that are new and healthy.”

Dining Services Director Barbara Laverdiere said they provide a survey to see what students are looking for and monitor student tweets to see what they think about the food and plan.

“In terms of where we are, we want to do more on South Campus because that area is not particularly well-served,” she said. “We are taking a seriously look at a food truck and putting more food in the stores that are currently on campus.”

The top colleges were chosen based on food variety, access to healthy choices and sustainable dining practices.

“Our sustainability program is part of a campus-wide effort to reduce the use of natural resources, operating costs, improve environmental and social impacts and prepare this generation to lead our society toward a more sustainable future,” according to the Dining Services website.

Kossak said gluten-free and vegan options, especially those available at Marciano Commons, help her to lead a healthier lifestyle.

“I think the food you could buy at the George Sherman Union is really good, and there are lots of options,” said Anita Knopov, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences. “In the dining halls there are not as many — though there are now gluten-free and vegan options, which is great.”

Someone who is gluten-free could not eat at a dining hall at Brandeis University, she said.

“Compared to Brandeis, the options are better [at BU], and the prices are better,” said Sung-Jae Park, a sophomore from Brandeis University who often visits the GSU. “It’s a lot nicer here, and there are outside companies.”

Julian Bercu, a School of Education junior, said the dining services at BU are very economical for him.

“The food in the dining hall is obviously mass-produced, so it’s not the same as if you ate in a restaurant, but it is cheaper,” he said. “In the dining hall, it’s about $10 per meal, but I eat about three courses, which would be about $35 if I got that at a restaurant.”

School of Management senior Ismayil Aliyev said though he used to enjoy the fresh food in the dining halls, it was too expensive for him to continue using a meal plan through Dining Services.

“I like the GSU now,” he said. “The prices are good compared to other places where the same thing would be three to $4 more.”

Students who frequent Marciano Commons have said though the dining hall offers a wide variety of food, the lines and set up of the hall are troublesome.

“The new dining hall is great, but it’s very artistic,” Knopov said. “When you’re in college, you just want a good, big meal that will get you through the day.”

Kossak said although she likes Marciano Commons, the food lines are a hassle.

“100 Bay State [Road] has been a huge focus lately, and we are still working out some problems and making the lines move faster,” Laverdiere said.

She said while dining services are initiating their own projects, they also focus on taking suggestions from students.

“We try our best to improve on our existing services as well as keep trying new things,” Laverdiere said.