Academia, Campus, News

SAT scores may be precursors to freshman grades

A student’s SAT scores may indicate success in the first year of college, according to a study cited in The Chronicle of Higher Education Thursday, although some students at Boston University said they disagree.

“I absolutely don’t think [the SAT] reflected my ability to do well in school,” said Shannon Harrington, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Harrington said she had more than a 4.0 GPA while in high school, but did not do as well on the SAT.

The study determined there is a correlation between a student’s SAT scores and his or her grades in the freshman year of college, despite the student’s socioeconomic background.

BU spokesman Colin Riley said the admissions office does not only look at standardized test scores from prospective students.

“We’re looking for students who will succeed here and contribute to their success and the success of others,” he said. “We want [students] to do well in school, grow and mature into a successful young adulthood, and into their future careers.”

BU likes to look at prospective students in a holistic way so SAT scores only provide additional information, Riley said. However, it does provide some predictive value to success in college.

BU’s freshman class applied with an average 2005 composite SAT score and an average A- GPA, and ranked in the top 9 percent of their class, according to the BU Admissions website.

CAS freshman Sarah Mosher, said her grades do reflect her score on the SAT. Although she focused on her grades in high school more than on her SATs, she did spend time preparing with Kaplan study books.

“My SAT score was fairly high, so I think that it showed the effort I put into my grades as well.”

She said success in college is not just about grades, but also about personal development.

“There are plenty of successful people that have not done well in school, but have managed to do extremely well in their careers,” she said.

Mithila Mahesh, a CAS senior, said that when she applied to colleges she considered SAT scores to be a fairly important aspect because it was a way for schools to assess her knowledge of English as an international student.

“I know that’s how they standardize between different private schools and different public schools,” Mahesh said. “They also want to see good grades and a good essay, so I didn’t think [the SAT] was the most important.”

Though Mahesh said she did well on her SATs, she said it did not indicate her success in college.

“SATs — you can’t really study for them,” she said. “For college, you actually need to have proper study skills.”

Mahesh said success in college was a mixture of grades as well as extracurricular activities.

“If you’re doing something more than your requirements, it shows enthusiasm and that you’re going to work hard,” she said.

College of Communication junior Greg Wilson said SAT scores do not indicate college performance because it is only one indicator of intelligence.

“College is a learning process and success is measured by how well you perform over time, not just by one test,” he said. “Maybe my SAT scores reflected how I did my freshman year, but not anymore.”

Harrington said College Board, which produces the SAT, incorporates skills that everyone would need, including basic math and reading skills. These skills are needed for success in college, so the SAT has some part in determining a college student’s success, she said.

Harrington said success could be measured in many ways.

“Grades are obviously very important, but also the experience you get out of it,” she said. “I think if you’re happy with the experience you’ve had, if you’ve done well in your school along the way, I think you’re pretty successful.”