EDIT: Campaigning in the classroom?

A community college in Florida is investigating a professor for allegedly using class time to campaign for President Barack Obama, according to an article in The Chronicle of Higher Education on Sept. 18.

Sharon Sweet, an associate professor at Brevard Community College in Cocoa, Fla., has been granted a leave of absence after a parent of one of her students complained to the college about her alleged behavior — telling her students to vote for Obama and distributing pro-Obama literature in class.

The college prohibits professors from “engaging in political activity during class,” according to The Chronicle.

It is understandable that a public institution does not want its faculty spouting their political views in the classroom. College is a time for students to form their own opinions. Also, many students see themselves working under their professors. A professor who electioneers in his or her classroom could remove students’ motivation to explore issues and candidates on their own. Some students may quickly adopt their professor’s beliefs, without considering their own.

That being said, it is unrealistic to think that every professor will check his or her opinions at the door.

Everyone is biased to some extent. Encouraging professors to overcome their biases is the best that a public institution can ask for.

Moreover, it is important to note that in addition to recent high school graduates, a number of non-traditional students enroll in community colleges. Someone who took time off from college to raise a family or earn a living qualifies as a non-traditional student. Students following this non-traditional path have probably had time to form their own opinions, so the politically charged statements of one professor may not influence those students as much.

It will be interesting to see what the investigation turns up. Were the accusations even accurate? If the professor’s campaigning was extensive as the student said it was, then she should be subjected to some sort of penalty.