EDIT: Smartphone woes

Smartphones and other hand-held devices have become Americans’ cure-all for boredom, according to a CNN article Tuesday.

Walk into any waiting room, subway or coffee place and that scenario makes sense. Smartphones and other technological devices are the biggest time killers. Bored in class? Log onto Facebook. Long morning commute? Play a game of Angry Birds.

Let us not forget that our smartphones remove the awkwardness of a crowded (or not so crowded) elevator ride. Staring at someone else’s face? Awkward. Staring at your smartphone? Much better.

But is all of this screen time good? Probably not.

If you’re constantly peering at your smartphone or other hand-held device, you’re going to miss out on what’s happening around you.

And it’s not like people don’t know this.

We’ve seen them, the distracted cell phone users who trip up the stairs, drive through stop signs or cross the street without checking for cars. We’re aware that the consequences of distracted cell phone use can be severe.

If you’re constantly plugged into your iPod or scanning your tablet, you’re also shutting yourself off to human interaction. It sounds dramatic, but it makes sense. While you’re listening to your iPod, you’re missing out opportunities to connect with the people around you.

So, what can we expect from future technology users? Will our children be attached to their devices to the extent that we are now? Most likely, yes.

Eventually, there’s going to be a generation of users where frequent technology use is all they know.

Perhaps it’s time for people to take these cautionary tales to heart, and put down their smartphones, for a little while at least.