Terriers take experience from frequently close games

Throughout the season, the Boston University men’s soccer team has seemingly been involved in a close game every time it has taken the field. In the Terriers’ first eight games, the team played in three one-goal games and tied twice.

Junior midfielder Anthony Ciccone is tied for the BU men’s soccer team lead with six points. AUDREY FAIN/DAILY FREE PRESS PHOTO

The team’s game against The College of the Holy Cross, however, appeared to be an aberration as BU scored a season-high four goals, two of which came from redshirt freshman forward Mac McGuire. This past Saturday, the Terriers ventured down to Hempstead, N.Y., to take on Hofstra University and looked to build on the performance against Holy Cross. Early on in the game, however, it became evident that the Terriers would have to win another close contest if they wanted to come out on top.

In the 24th minute, the Pride jumped on the board when freshman midfielder Joseph Holland netted a goal just under the crossbar for a 1–0 lead.

Then, three minutes into the second half, the Pride struck again when senior defender Thomas Bekas scored on a shot going into the top left corner of the net. Things began to look bleak for the Terriers, especially when the emerging McGuire was given a red card in the 57th Minute.

Sophomore forward Parker Powell helped cut the lead in half with his third goal of the season in the 76th minute.

The Terriers continued to fight on, and had a bevy of chances, especially on two corner kicks in the 80th and 88th minutes. Nonetheless, the Terriers fell again, in yet another one-goal contest.

BU coach Neil Roberts said playing in tight contests is not necessarily a bad thing for the Terriers.

“It’s what you take out of it,” Roberts said. “Each game is a different situation. When you play good teams, it’ll always be close. It’s just what you take out of it.”

Ciccone continues solid run

The 2012 season has not gone the way BU wanted record-wise, with a 2–5–2 record to begin the the year. Nonetheless, some players have emerged as key components to the team. Recently, junior midfielder Anthony Ciccone has stood out with his strong play. After limited playing time in his freshman year, Ciccone played in every game last season, and started in eight of those games.

In the 2012 season, Ciccone has become a full-time player and has stepped up immensely. Ciccone is tied for the team lead in points with six. Lately, Ciccone has also displayed his greatness in feeding the ball to his teammates. In the victory against Holy Cross, Ciccone helped BU by assisting on two goals in the 4–0 win.

“Anthony is our most consistent player for us so far,” Roberts said. “It’s not a surprise, and it’s very nice for us to see it.”

Hawks seeking prey

As the Terriers come down to the back nine games of the season, they will begin play against their America East opponents for the first time this year, and the last time in their history as a member of the same conference. BU has been in the conference since it was established in 1979, but will end its relationship with the America East at the end of the year.

“No one is sad to leave,” Roberts said.

On Saturday, BU will take on the University of Hartford at 7 p.m. at Nickerson Field. BU has already had an incredibly difficult schedule facing a multitude of ranked opponents, as well as unranked teams who are very capable of producing win after win. The same goes for Hartford.

In their first 10 games, the Hawks have compiled a 6–4 record, putting themselves in position as one of the top three teams entering in the conference entering America East play. The Hawks have a strong offensive attack, led for the most part by freshman defender Jovani Simms.

Through the first 10 games, Simms has been an offensive catalyst for the Hawks, scoring an impressive seven goals, making him second in the America East in goals scored and third in the conference in points.

“We had a very good look at him,” Roberts said. “He’s a good player. It should be a good game.”