Field Hockey, Sports

Resilient BU field hockey making comebacks a trend

The one word that describes the No. 12 Boston University field hockey team in the last month is resilience. The trend, as of late, has been to fall behind early and then achieve a dramatic victory with last-minute surges.

The game that best captured BU’s (8–4, 2–0 America East) ability to play from behind was its Sept. 18 victory against the University of Massachusetts. The Terriers fell behind 1–0, and then 2–1 later in the game, but they tied the game and sent it to overtime. In double overtime freshman Rachel Coll knocked in the game-winning goal in the first minute.

Even though it came in a losing effort, Boston showed a capability to play from behind against No. 5 University of Connecticut. The Terriers earned multiple corners after cutting the Huskies 3–1 lead to one, but they ultimately did not execute on their opportunities at the end of the game.

“Experience and senior leadership and competitive will has a lot to do with [the team’s ability to battle back],” said BU coach Sally Starr. “The girls have set high goals for the season. They know they can compete for 70 minutes and score goals.”

Staying on the field

BU has had a strong season and has shown resilience not only because of the team’s talent, but also because of its ability to stay healthy.

The Terriers lost their talented freshman midfielder Sofi Laurito to an injury earlier in the season in a game against Providence College. Laurito returned in late September when Boston played against the University of Connecticut, giving the Terriers an athletic spark they needed in the midfield during her absence.

Aside from Laurito’s injury, the team has been able to remain on the field. This consistency will help them continue to play as a unit and to be resilient when the going gets tough.

“For the first week in October, we’re a very healthy team,” Starr said. “The schedule has allowed for a few days off, which has helped the team stay healthy. Colds, flus and sickness in general have not been holding people out of games.”

Playoff push

Because of the sanctions that prevent BU teams from participating in the America East postseason tournament this season, the field hockey team cannot make the NCAA tournament by winning the conference.

However, the Terriers can still earn a spot in the tournament by winning an at-large bid.

“We’re in control of our own destiny. It’s where we want to be,” Starr said.

Three of the team’s last six games are against ranked opponents: No. 20 University of New Hampshire, No. 25 University of Maine and No. 10 Northeastern University.