National, News

Boston man charged with bringing hazardous materials to LAX

A Boston man was arraigned Tuesday afternoon in federal court after he allegedly transported dangerous items to Los Angeles International Airport on a flight from Japan, according to a press release.

Yongda Huang Harris, 28, appeared in federal court in Los Angeles after being arrested Friday afternoon, according to a press release by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. He was charged with one count of transporting hazardous materials.

Harris, who was seen wearing a bulletproof vest and fire-resistant pants underneath a trench coat, allegedly brought in a smoke grenade, knives, a hatchet, a gas mask, biohazard suits, body bags, billy clubs, a baton, leg irons, handcuffs, duct tape, batteries, oven mitts, cooking tongs, a device repelling dogs and other weapons, according to the affidavit provided by U.S. Customs.

Harris was escorted to a detention cell and patted down.

Harris, a Boston native who has been living and working in Japan recently, entered LAX on a flight from Kansai, Japan, when his luggage was inspected by U.S. Customs.

A member of the LA Police Department’s bomb squad conducted an X-ray examination of the smoke grenade and found that the device fell under the United Nations’ explosives shipping classification and prohibited on board passenger aircraft, according to the affidavit.

The smoke grenade, which was made by Commando Manufacturers, could potentially fill the cabin of a commercial airplane with smoke or cause a fire, the release stated.

Harris, a naturalized U.S. citizen of Chinese descent, lives permanently in Boston, but has lived and worked in Japan recently, according to the release.

If convicted, Harris faces up to five years in federal prison.

U.S. Department of Homeland Security agents are investigating the incident and working with agents in Tokyo.

7 News reported Tuesday night that Harris graduated from Boston University in January 2011 with a degree in biomedical laboratory and clinical sciences.

The Metropolitan College website cites “Yongda Harris” as a student of biomedical laboratory and clinical sciences.However, MET administrative officials and BU media relations were not available to confirm that Harris attended BU in time for publication.