Campus, City, News

BU students still concerned about campus safety, despite arrests

With three suspects charged for two of the four armed robberies that have occurred near Boston University off the streets, BU students said they feel safer, but remain cautious.

Each suspect has been charged with two counts of armed robbery by the Brookline Police Department, officials said.

While Brookline PD said they believe these suspects to be connected with the second and third robberies occurring on Sept. 26 and Oct. 5 in the St. Paul Street area, they have not yet determined if they are responsible for the other two robberies, according to recent reports published in The Daily  Free  Press.

“I feel a little safer now that at least some of the suspects are caught, but I still take a lot of precautions, especially in how I get home at night,” said College of General Studies sophomore Jessica Lehner.

Caroline Fotouhi, a sophomore in CGS, said though some of the suspects have been caught, she still gets a ride home to her apartment in Brookline because of the robberies.

“I’m still too nervous to walk home alone,” she said. “I try to walk with less of my personal property in my bag nowadays.”

BU Police Department Chief Thomas Robbins said officers are working with the Brookline PD on the investigation and patrols around the neighborhood.

“We are focusing our efforts on that [the investigations and patrols], but certainly it is not a reason for people to alter their plans or not enjoy the city and culture,” he said.

Releasing the surveillance videos of the suspects, Lehner said, helped raise awareness about the robberies.

“Even though, as students, we would get BU alerts, our neighbors in Brookline weren’t as aware about it,” Fotouhi said. “With the videos out, the entire community knew to keep their eye out.”

The $10,000 reward sparked people to be more aware of the robberies, she said.

“Even with the arrests, I would still like the police to continue to increase their patrols,” she said.

Students said they were disappointed with the actions, or lack thereof, taken by the BUPD.

“I feel like they haven’t been doing as much as they could have done,” said Alexis Weaver, a College of Engineering sophomore. “I know even at night walking down Comm. Ave., you won’t really see too many BUPD.”

Jordan Hanna, a College of Arts and Sciences sophomore, said she understands walking in groups is important, but it is not always an option.

“I don’t want to be scared because they [BUPD] can’t get it together,” she said. “I feel a little bit safer now, but there could be more [robbers] out there.”

However, CAS senior Sarena Burugupalli said she feels campus is still pretty safe.

“I’ve heard they have those emergency blue buttons on every corner, but I’ve never had to use it,” she said.

Students started a petition after the fourth robbery on Change.org addressed to BU Administration, BUPD and Boston Police, which quickly reached its goal of 165 signatures.

“More must be done to protect the public from the crimes currently taking place,” the petition stated. “Four armed robberies in less than a month is unacceptable.”

BUPD has increased patrols in the areas where the robberies have taken place and are making students aware of the basic safety tips, Robbins said.

“It’s a good idea to walk with people,” he said.

Robbins said students should have 911 or the numbers for BUPD or Brookline PD on speed dial. If a student should see something suspicious, they should call the police department immediately or text the anonymous tip line, Robbins said.

“They [students] should think of things like having a plan — where are you going? How do you plan to get there? Are you going to walk with a group, or are you going to take some transportation to get where you’re going?” he said. “Make sure you walk in an open area, avoid some poorly lit areas.”