Student injured in chemical spill

A Boston University post-doctoral chemistry associate student was injured in a chemical spill on the eighth floor of the Life Science and Engineering Building at about 4 p.m. on Monday, said BU spokesperson Colin Riley.

Spandan Chennamadhavuni is wheeled out of the Life Sciences Building into an ambulance. LAUREN DEZENSKI/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Spandan Chennamadhavuni was working on the eighth floor of the chemistry lab at 24 Cummington St. when a trifluoroacetic acid reaction spilled over, splashing him, said Veronique Martin, a fellow post-doctoral chemistry associate student.

Chennamadhavuni was wheeled out of the Life Sciences building on a stretcher and did not appear seriously injured at about 4:25 p.m. He was taken to a Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

The Boston Fire Department Hazardous Materials Response Unit was at the scene in addition to the BU Police Department and Boston Emergency Medical Services.

At least five fire trucks, six response vehicles, four BUPD cruisers and two EMS trucks were on scene.

The eighth floor was evacuated, Martin said.

Students were let back into the building at 5:10 p.m.