Post-doctoral student suffers mild injuries after chemical spill in ENG building

A Boston University post-doctoral chemistry associate student was injured in a chemical spill on the eighth floor of the Life Science and Engineering Building at about 4 p.m. on Monday, said BU spokeman Colin Riley.

The Boston Fire Department Hazardous Materials Response Unit are on scene after Boston University post-doctoral student Spandan Chennamadhavuni came into contact with acid at the Life Sciences Building Monday afternoon. PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Spandan Chennamadhavuni was working on the eighth floor of the chemistry lab at 24 Cummington St. when a trifluoroacetic acid reaction spilled over, splashing his arms and face, said Veronique Martin, a fellow post-doctoral chemistry associate student.

The student used the lab deluge shower in the lab to decontaminate himself immediately after coming in contact with the chemicals, said Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald. No one else was injured in the spill.

Chennamadhavuni was wheeled out of the Life Sciences building on a stretcher with minor injuries at about 4:25 p.m. He was taken to a Brigham and Women’s Hospital, said Riley.

The Boston Fire Department Hazardous Materials Response Unit arrived at the scene, in addition to the BU Police Department and Boston Emergency Medical Services.

At least five fire trucks, six response vehicles, four BUPD cruisers and two EMS trucks were on scene.

The Boston Fire Department cleared the scene, then the BU Office of Environmental Health and Safety took over, Riley said.

People who were on the eighth floor were brought outside until the scene was cleared, Riley said.

BUPD vehicles blocked traffic onto Cummington Street while the acid spill was being contained.

Students were let back into the building at 5:10 p.m.

Amy Gorel contributed to the reporting of this article.