EDIT: Nike cuts ties to Armstrong

Nike decided to terminate its contract with Lance Armstrong Wednesday because of  “insurmountable evidence that he participated in doping,” according to TIME.

Nike said in a statement that it “does not condone the use of illegal performance-enhancing drugs in any manner.”

It is understandable that the company would feel inclined to cut its ties from Armstrong. Nike athletes are typically held up as role models. An athlete who uses performance-enhancing drugs should not hold a position of influence in that field.

However, it is interesting that Nike continues to sponsor Tiger Woods, another controversial athlete. Woods was involved in several extramarital affairs, but that behavior was unrelated to his sport. Even still, is it appropriate for Nike to endorse an athlete whose private life is so controversial? Probably not. Like Hollywood stars, athletes’ private lives are not all that private. The decisions they make outside of their sport can influence their fans. It is probably inappropriate for Nike to endorse an athlete who was involved in extramarital affairs.

Returning to Armstrong, just before Nike’s announcement, the cyclist made an announcement of his own. Armstrong revealed that he was “stepping down as chairman of the Livestrong cancer fighting charity so that the organization can steer clear of the whirlwind surrounding its founder,” according to the TIME article.

It will be interesting to see how Armstrong’s absence affects the charity going forward, if  at all.

Armstrong’s concern is understandable. It would be unfortunate if his poor choices tainted an organization that could do some pretty life-changing work.

It’s a sad state of affairs. Hopefully people focus on the charity’s work and not the mistakes of its founder. But really, only time will tell.