BU tops UNH, goes undefeated in conference

In its final America East conference game, the Boston University women’s soccer team defeated the University of New Hampshire 1–0 at Nickerson Field. This game followed a University of Hartford loss to the University of Vermont on Thursday, which clinched an America East Regular Season title earlier in the week.

Senior defender Jessica Morrow set up the Terriers’ only goal in their 1–0 win over UNH on Saturday. MICHAEL CUMMO/DAILY FREE PRESS FILE PHOTO

With the victory, the Terriers (12–6–1, 8–0–0 America East) continued their streak of 32 straight victories against America East opponents, while also earning an undefeated conference record for the fifth time in the team’s history.

At the beginning of the game, both the Terriers and Wildcats (5–11–2, 3–4–1 America East) struggled to get anything going offensively, as the first shot on goal for either team came at the 26th minute of the first half.

Luckily for the Terriers, this first shot on goal gave BU a 1–0 lead, as a corner kick by senior back Jessica Morrow was deflected by junior midfielder Kylie Strom and kicked into the UNH net by sophomore forward Taylor Krebs. The goal was Krebs’ second goal of the season.

“Great corner-kick by Morrow,” said BU coach Nancy Feldman. “She’s not a left-footed player but she has a great left-footed service … Great serve, great first touch by Kylie, and [Krebs] just made sure it was in.”

At the end of the first half, the Terriers led the Wildcats in shots, 8–4, while BU’s defense did not allow a single UNH shot on goal during the 45 minutes of play.

In the second half, BU junior goalkeeper Andrea Green was replaced by sophomore Alyssa Parisi, who made the play of the game in the 62nd minute. With the Terriers still holding onto their 1–0 lead, the Wildcats were awarded a penalty kick after a BU foul inside its own box. UNH midfielder Kirstyn Corder took the shot for the Wildcats, but Parisi made a spectacular save to hold on to the Terriers’ slim lead.

“I thought that they might tie it,” Feldman said. “But I felt confident that we were going to score another goal. I was thinking, if they score, we’re going to get the winner. I just felt like it was our day.”

UNH managed one more shot on goal, but BU played tenacious defense and held on for the 1–0 victory.

BU finished the game with a 14–8 advantage in shots, while also recording four more shots on goal than UNH.

UNH has not defeated BU since Oct. 4, 2002, more than 10 years ago.

“It was great to win,” Feldman said. “I thought we played with good style. I didn’t like how many chances UNH got, but our possession was good, I thought we generated good attack. We got everybody in the game.”

Despite securing their sixth straight America East regular season title earlier this week, the Terriers are banned from the America East tournament because of BU’s move to the Patriot League in that will take place next year.

“It’s really disappointing,” Morrow said. “It’s unfortunate that in my senior year we can’t play in any playoffs … But I’m glad we were able to pull trough and win the regular season.”

Morrow, as well as senior midfielder Brea Hewitt, was honored before the game on Senior Day and the two were thanked for their contributions to the team during their collegiate career.

For now, the Terriers will sit and wait to see if they receive an NCAA at-large bid. The selections for the tournament will be announced on NCAA.com on Nov. 5.

When asked if the team had made a strong enough case to the selection committee, Feldman said that she was unsure.

“I’m not sure we have. I don’t know how they rate us, we’ll just wait and see,” Feldman said.

Despite the disappointment in not being able to participate in the America East tournament, Feldman said she is proud of her team’s resilience and performance this season.

“We felt like we were up against it all season long,” Feldman said. “I think the weight of not being in the postseason for America East was something that was hanging over us a little bit, and I think the players did a good job of not dwelling on it. Given that circumstance, I’m really proud of the team, both today and all season long.”