Terriers earn 2nd straight Team of the Week honors

After taking both of its games this past weekend, the Hockey East Conference honored the No. 3 Boston University women’s hockey team with its second consecutive Team of the Week title.

Senior forward Jenelle Kohanchuk has averaged a point per game so far this season. MICHELLE JAY/DAILY FREE PRESS FILE PHOTO

During the two weeks that the Terriers (7–1, 3–0 Hockey East) have held the honor, they have gone 4–1, defeating conference opponents No. 7 Northeastern University and the University of Maine, as well as shutting out Robert Morris University and splitting a weekend series with No. 2 Cornell University.

So far in the 2012–13 season, the Terriers lead the conference with an average of 3.88 goals per game, having scored 31 goals in eight contests.

BU coach Brian Durocher said even when the team does not score four goals, such as the game against Robert Morris on Saturday, the team’s defense gives the Terriers just as much of an advantage.

“It’s a good sign our team’s playing hard — they’re thinking about defense first,” Durocher said after BU gave up just 24 shots on goal to Robert Morris. “We’re going to get our goals … Maybe not four like we’ve been averaging, but still we put a lot of chances on. [Robert Morris] fought hard, maybe keeping us from getting a fourth or fifth goal, but I like to see defense first.”

Freshman Phenom

Freshman forward Sarah Lefort also garnered conference recognition this week when she earned the title of Hockey East Co-Rookie of the Week.

During Saturday’s game against Robert Morris, Lefort scored two of the Terriers’ three goals.

“Her job is to finish off, get the lose pucks, get the rebounds, and [Saturday] was a good example,” Durocher said of Lefort’s performance.

While her stats from this weekend are impressive, the Ormstown, Quebec native’s season has made her one of the top rookies in the conference.

This is the third time this season Lefort has won Rookie of the Week honors.

She leads the Terriers, as well as Hockey East rookies, in scoring with eight goals this season.

Two of those goals came in her first career hockey east game, as she was the first star in the Terriers’ 4–2 win over No. 8 Boston College.

Lefort has three game-winning goals this season, which ties her for the national lead.

She also leads the Terriers in shots (30) and shooting percentage (.267) on the season.

“I’m just trying to do the small things and just not focus on the big things,” Lefort said after Saturday’s game. “The big things will come. I think that’s where I have to keep my focus on.”

Overcoming the concussion

After much of what was supposed to be her senior season was wiped out by a concussion, senior forward Jenelle Kohanchuk has returned to her old self, notching eight points thus far this season.

“Jenelle adds tremendous speed,” Durocher said. “She brings tremendous intensity to the game. She’s a big part of our team that surprisingly almost slipped under the radar I think in some people’s minds as you look around at people in the league. But we knew what we were getting back.”

On Saturday, Kohanchuk tallied her 100th career point during the game against Robert Morris as she assisted on sophomore forward Kayla Tutino’s first-period goal.

Kohanchuk sent a pass to Tutino in the slot, from where Tutino scored what would become the game-winning goal.

Kohanchuk now has 44 goals and 56 assists in 106 games as a Terrier, and she is averaging one point per game this season.

“She’s a kid who’s got great energy, great speed, great puck position, is going to get her share of assists and she’s obviously going to get goals because she can shoot the puck,” Durocher said. “She’s already distinguished herself as having a good start.

“To have basically a point a game … is a good sign. In this team, you’ve probably got three, four, five kids with a-point-a-game now, which is a good problem for our team and a good problem for my staff as well.”