Council OKs third redistricting map

As the deadline for agreement on a new redistricting map passed on Wednesday, Boston City Council approved its third redistricting map after more than a year of debate, sending off the final plan to Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

The Jackson map, approved by city councilors Wednesday, was tweeted by Councilor Tito Jackson Wednesday night. PHOTO COURTESY CITY OF BOSTON.

The highly anticipated plan, which included a last-minute amendment proposed by Councilor Tito Jackson, of Roxbury, passed by a vote of 11 to 2.

Councilor Bill Linehan, of South Boston, opened the debate in full support of the map, the third to be proposed since the issue arose.

“We have all worked diligently on this for the past 16 months,” he said. “It is impossible to please all, but this is a fair and balanced and legally defensible plan. I would ask anyone to contend with me who does not think this plan moves Boston forward.”

Linehan said Districts 3, 4 and 5 would be the ones affected in the new map.

Councilor Charles Yancey, of Dorchester, stood in the negative, objecting to the redistricting plan.

“What is before us today does not do justice to Mattapan,” he said. “Based on the 2010 census, people of color represent 53 percent of the population, and the existing districts guarantee five predominately white districts. We have the opportunity to design a map of the city of Boston that reflects the true population.”

Councilor Robert Consalvo, of Hyde Park, said the map was a fair compromise.

“Unless we have a magic wand, not all of the districts are going to remain whole,” he said. “This map does address the mayor’s veto and we should feel comfortable passing it and he should feel comfortable signing it.”

Jackson proposed his amendments to the map in an effort to protect certain precincts.

“I rise to submit an amendment,” Jackson said. “It restores precinct 43 to District 2. District 7 was only 36 percent black before. We have an opportunity to make it nearly 40 percent, but by moving 43 into District 7, we would be going backwards.”

Jackson also provided comedic relief to the hostile debate.

“I would be left with a district of exactly 666,666 people,” he said. “I am not okay with that.”

Councilor At-Large Felix Arroyo and Councilor Matt O’Malley both live in Jamaica Plain, an area that will bear the brunt of many redistricting changes.

Both councilors supported the new map and said their fellow councilors should reach a decision.

“This is the last day we can vote on this plan,” O’Malley said. “We need to come together. This is a fair map. We are not voting as our district councilors, we are voting as Boston city councilors. We need to get this done.”

Councilor At-Large Ayanna Pressley spoke about the struggle the council has faced in this process.

“It is about sacrifice, egos are bruised and we often don’t feel like progress is being made,” she said. “But this is about a giant leap for the city as a whole.”

Councilor Michael Ross, of the Fens, said a grim future was in store if the map and amendments were not supported.

“We all have to seriously consider supporting the amendments because if they fail, either the map will not pass or the map may pass with all white city councilors voting for it,” he said. “That is not what this city can afford right now.”

Ross speculated what this would mean for the future of the council.

“Will this council have any credibility in, say, discussing school assignment if we go forward down either of those two roads?” he said. “The only road we have is to support the amendments and the proposed map.” In an emailed statement issued after the meeting, Pressley said she was satisfied with the new map.

“I am proud that the map passed in the City Council today will decisively chart a new course — one that is more reflective of our diversity and better represents and serves the residents of this great city,” she wrote.

Pressley wrote that some of the aspects of the plan that pleased her were the protection of Asian-American and Latino voters in District 2, the unpacking of District 4 and the maintenance of Jamaica Plain.

A spokesperson from Menino’s office confirmed the accuracy of The Boston Globe’s report on Wednesday in which Menino’s spokeswoman Dot Joyce said he would sign the plan.

Prior to discussion of the redistricting plan, the council dealt with an appropriation of the beautification of the city.

The council quickly passed an action that would use $373,000 from the Edward Ingersoll Browne Fund to beautify the city.

The action passed unanimously with Yancey speaking strongly in the affirmative.

“I am vice president of the Browne fund and we approve these projects,” he said. “We are looking forward to beautifying the entire city of Boston, so we ask for your support.”