Bloomberg Radio in Boston expands business coverage

Bloomberg Radio made its debut in Boston Friday, at the frequency WXKS 1200 AM, and will provide 24-hour coverage of business and financial news, adding another station to an already dense radio market.

“We’re excited about expanding Bloomberg Radio into Boston, an important market for those who manage money, move the markets and shape the innovations of tomorrow,” said Al Mayers, head of Bloomberg Radio, in a press release Wednesday. “Bostonians can tap into the insightful conversations with influential analysts, economists and business leaders that Bloomberg Radio is known for.”

Anthony Mancini, program director for Bloomberg Radio, said in an email that Bloomberg Radio is the only station in Boston to broadcast around-the-clock business news and market coverage and feature interviews with influential people.

“When there’s a job report, PIMCO CEO Bill Gross, who runs the world’s biggest bond fund, comes on to break down the numbers and tell us what it means for the economy,” he said. “Some of the other influential guests who come on Bloomberg Radio include billionaire investor Mario Gabelli, International Monetary Fund head Christina Lagarde and St. Louis [Federal Reserve Bank] President James Bullard.”

Mancini said Bloomberg Radio also aired the first interview U.S. President Barack Obama had after he was re-elected.

Mary Menna, market president for Clear Channel Media and Entertainment Boston, said the New York-based radio station suits the Boston community well.

“Boston is one of the top markets for financial services, technology, healthcare and higher education,” Menna said in the release. “Our agreement with Bloomberg Radio to provide its premiere business content to Boston listeners is a perfect fit for this area.”

Mancini said the diversity and interests of listeners in Boston made the city ideal for Bloomberg.

“We’re excited about Boston because it’s one of the leading cities in the U.S. for people who work in financial services, wealth management, technology and healthcare, and there are a number of top-notch universities and colleges in Boston,” he said.

In order to create the radio station, Clear Channel administrators had to apply for a construction permit and file a license application during a specific window to show that they had constructed the station according to their permit. Bloomberg Radio had to show the station’s signals would not interfere with other U.S. and foreign AM stations on the same frequency or adjacent channels, according to the Federal Communications Commission’s website.

Bloomberg Radio will partner with Bentley University to co-produce shows using Bentley’s facilities and present programming incorporating students, according to the release.

“We were excited about this collaboration from the start,” said Gloria Larson, president of Bentley University, in the release.  “Bentley is a leading business university and Bloomberg, as the leader in business media, is a great fit. We look forward to working with Bloomberg to provide an informed and innovative view of business to the Boston market.”

Mancini said the station reaches out to all kinds of listeners.

“We attract a broad range of listeners — from Wall Street professionals, doctors, lawyers, to individual investors and anyone who’s interested in learning more about business, investing and what’s going on in the U.S. economy and world markets,” he said.

Because of the reputation of Bloomberg Radio, Mancini said he expects the station to fare well the public.

“Bloomberg is known as a serious business news source,” he said. “We respect our listeners’ time and give them the most important information and analysis from the smartest minds and, let them make the decisions for themselves.”

Mike Mullaney, music director at Mix 104.1 in Boston, said the Boston radio scene is very competitive.

“In terms of media, it’s [the Boston radio market] a top 10 market, but if you really think about the impact this market has on music sales, we’re one of the top five for sure,” he said. “Because of that, millions and millions of dollars change hands depending on advertising and it’s [the money] changed more in the last year than it has over the last 20 years combined.”

Mullaney said Clear Channel has been trying to figure out what to put on the frequency for a while.

“Bloomberg is obviously one of the greatest financial companies, and from a broadcasting perspective, they do well,” he said. “We’ll see what happens.”