Softball, Sports

Softball learning from losing efforts against top-notch squads

The Boston University softball team got off to a rather bumpy but informative start to its 2012-13 campaign. After trips to Orlando, Fla., and Tucson, Ariz., the Terriers (3-7, 0-0) have wins against Georgia Southern University, Portland State University and the University of California-Riverside.

Despite the team’s sub-.500, BU coach Kathryn Gleason said that she remains optimistic and used the games as a learning opportunity.

“What we have learned is the way we approach the game,” Gleason said. “Arizona was a tough environment to play in. I thought we handled that very well … We can play anybody. If we want to achieve our goal as a team we just need to keep doing that.”

Gleason is justifiably optimistic about the way her team has performed early, as it is still early in the season and BU has played against rather tough opponents to this point.

This past weekend, BU took on softball powerhouse No. 17 University of Arizona at its home stadium in front of the many Wildcat softball fans. During the tournament that they hosted, the Wildcats (15-5) demolished the competition, defeating every team they faced. BU competed against Arizona Friday and Saturday, losing 6-3 in the first game and then falling once again to the Wildcats 4-1 a day later.

Playing Until the Final Out
To open up the season, the Terriers faced Georgia Southern (9-10), which took a 1-0 lead in the seventh inning off of a home run by senior Tabby Douberley. However, BU did not give up easily. An upperclassman responded in kind when senior second baseman Emily Roesch brought home sophomore right fielder Emily Felbaum on a single.

The following week, the team traveled to Tucson to participate in the Wildcat Invitational. After dropping three of four at the tournament, BU was set to take on UC Riverside (7-12). With the score tied at four in the seventh inning, sophomore left fielder Mandy Fernandez hit a three-run bomb to give her team a 7-4 lead. BU held on to win 7-6 before jumping on a red-eye flight back to Boston.

“What it means to us is that we’re a resilient team and that we never get down no matter what happens in the game,” Gleason said. “We play the game to the finish. We talk about not playing the opponent, but playing the game.”

Fantastic Freshmen
Two freshmen have already seen playing time for the Terriers this season — pitcher Lauren Hynes of San Diego and outfielder Haley King from Cumming, Ga.

Hynes has seen the field several times in this young season. With 19 innings logged in six appearances, she holds a 0-2 record with an ERA of 5.53, giving up 15 earned runs, 19 walks and striking out 14. At the plate, Hynes is hitting .200, with five hits and a walk.

Meanwhile, King has been making smaller, but impactful contributions to the team, recording a .300 batting average in seven games with three hits and two walks.

“I’m very proud of them,” Gleason said. “You can have two different freshmen: One that goes out and is like a deer in headlights, or one that goes out and plays. They just play the game and go out there.

“I had no hesitation starting Lauren on Friday night. There are no freshmen on our team anymore. They have been on the team since the fall, and everyone is pretty much on the same level. They have stepped up when we really needed them to and continue to do so.”