Local Fire, Police department utilize social media

Public service agencies in and around Boston are expanding their channels of communication through social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, to give breaking news to the public and media outlets.

The Boston Police Department Instagram account, for example, although it only boasts five pictures, features photos of Mace, a K-9 police dog in training and a photo of BPD Superintendent William Gross at a crime scene with the hashtags “Homicide” and “TwoArrest.”

“We have incorporated the use of technology and social media to communicate with the public because we understand that people get their news and information from various sources,” said Dan Riviello, director of communications and media at the Cambridge Police Department.

Rivello said the police department has expanded their reach to people by being more involved on various social media websites.

“Our residents can continue to find important information via traditional media, but those who wish to access information in other ways can choose to visit our website, sign up to receive email and text alerts and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, YouTube and Instagram,” he said.

The Brookline Police Department has implemented a new automated, real-time crime tweet system to inform people of incidents that police are responding to when they happen.

Lt. Philip Harrington, head of community service and training of Brookline PD, said it is important to expand content to new sources people use to stay informed.

“It’s a good way of getting information out rapidly,” Harrington said.

Steve MacDonald, spokesman for Boston Fire Department, said social media networks are useful tools to give people a better understanding of what is happening in the area.

“When Twitter came out, [the Boston Fire Department] saw it as an opportunity to get some basic brief info out quickly that was accurate and coming from a reliable source,” MacDonald said. “ It just grew and grew … every town in every city in the world has a fire department. There’s a whole group of people who follow Fire Departments no matter what.

MacDonald said images are an important part of the fire department’s Twitter communications with the public.

“Photos can tell a story that maybe the words didn’t,” he said. “Instead of me describing [something], I would put up a picture.”

The fire department also has a Facebook page, where it posts detailed descriptions of incidents, safety information and pictures, MacDonald said.

Harrington said the Brookline PD’s use of social media has received positive responses from the public.

“We’re incorporating [social media] more into the department,” Harrington said. “We’re getting more people on the street out there so we can send messages about road detours, traffic and immediate stories. We have not encountered any significant problems.”

Harrington said the Brookline PD is very pleased with its use of social media, but officials still have work to do and they are looking to include more videos into their public communications.

Riviello said the Cambridge PD’s use of social media has met little resistance.

“[The Cambridge PD] has received positive feedback from our residents and followers who appreciate our openness and willingness to share news and information,” he said. “We are excited to continue to provide timely and useful information to our residents and followers.”

Riviello said that the only problem they have is the timeliness of responses.

“Our social media channels are mostly monitored during normal business hours,’ he said, “and we are unable to respond immediately on a 24/7 basis.”