Menino’s last budget focuses on upgrades including libraries, housing

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, seen here March 28 at a press conference, submitted his $2.6 billion budget Wednesday. PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DAILY FREE PRESS FILE

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino presented his $2.6 billion operating budget for the 2014 fiscal year and five year $1.8 billion capital plan Wednesday, representing a 5.6-percent growth over last year’s budget.

“This year’s budget invests in our most valuable assets: Our people and our neighborhoods,” Menino said in a press release Wednesday. “Today we are proposing a sound financial plan. It builds on our long history of achieving balanced budgets, and at the same time improves delivery of high-quality services that Boston residents expect and deserve.”

Menino’s last budget before he leaves office focuses on the people of Boston and making sure the investments made in the city are benefitting everyone, said officials at the mayor’s office.

The budget centers around improving Boston’s neighborhoods by meeting the housing needs of residents, creating “girls only” hours at community centers, engaging youth in the budget process and modernizing technology in the Boston Public Schools, according to the release.

As Massachusetts moves out of the recession, the city of Boston is able to spend more money to promote economic development in the city and leave some funds for the next administration to use, according to officials at the mayor’s office.

“In January 2014, Mayor Menino’s administration will transition to the next one. The FY 2014 budget provides funds for a smooth and stable transition,” according to the release.

The capital plan features $196 million for project authorizations to start in 2014 and include a $115 million development project of Dudley Square, a new park for children with physical disabilities in the Charlestown Navy Yard and construction on the Boston Public Library, according to the release.

David Leonard, director of administration and technology at the BPL, said if the capital budget is approved, the increase of funds will allow it to improve several branches throughout the system.

“We think this expresses a good commitment by the city to the library,” he said. “One always hopes for more, but our capital plans will extend over multiple years, so this is very good for FY14 and we’re excited to having this hopefully approved by City Council.”

Leonard said this budget should get a positive response from city councilors.

“We do know that the councilors care very much about the library system as a whole, so we look forward to their support,” he said.

Although there was a significant increase in the budget, most of the money is going to projects needed for the city, said Scott Palmer, emeritus professor of international relations and political science at Boston University.

“City Hall claims it’s not that much, beyond the innovations, and that most is to support basic city services and personnel,” he said in an email. “It’s more than people expected, but a big chunk of the increase goes to some innovative programs, like parking space detectors, e-reading programs in public libraries and an all-digital school to complete [high school] graduation requirements.”

Palmer said the budget reflects the changing economic atmosphere in Boston.

“It’s possible that [Menino] may be taking a page from [Mass.] Governor [Deval] Patrick’s surprisingly large budget proposal,” he said. “[However,] Boston is entering a boom in construction for offices and residences, and an expanding tax base, so it is to be expected that city services will expand as well.”