The One Fund raises $10 million for blast victims

The One Fund, which was established by Mass. Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino to support those affected by the Marathon Monday bombings, has now raised more than $10 million.

The fund, which began April 16, raised $6 million within the first 24 hours of its existence.

“I am humbled by the outpouring of support by the business community and individuals who are united in their desire to help,” Patrick said in an April 16 press release. “At moments like this, we are one state, one city and one people.”

John Hancock Financial Services, Bain Capital, Partners HealthCare and AT&T were some of the biggest donors to the campaign with donations of $1 million each.

“Within an hour, I had calls from business leaders and local philanthropists who, like me, were heartbroken by the impact this hideous tragedy has had on individuals, their families and friends,” Menino said in the release. “They want to do everything they can to help these people physically and psychologically in the future.”

Gary Gottlieb, president and chief executive officer of Partners HealthCare, said the organization’s donation was a response to the governor’s and mayor’s reminder that Boston is a united, strong, compassionate and courageous city.

“This gift will support the vision of the mayor and the governor in delivering much-needed financial support directly to the victims and families of this horrible tragedy as they recover both physically and psychologically,” he said. “Our thoughts and prayers remain with the families, their loved ones and the victims.”

Gottlieb said the response from care teams and doctors was extraordinary, and the donation supports his organization’s message that they will stand with the city of Boston.

“We are making this commitment on behalf and in honor of our men and women who give every moment of every day to support our mission of caring for our patients and their families,” he said. “Every one of our employees is a member of this community.”

Some residents said they wanted The One Fund to become a permanent campaign.

“It’s [The One Fund] a fantastic move,” said Kyle Sullivan, 24, a law student at Boston College. “If it can sustain itself, [then] it’s definitely a noble cause.”

Sullivan said he knew some classmates who were injured and would benefit from the fund.

“Healthcare is not getting any cheaper, so it’s nice to see funds coming out to help them,” he said.

Philip Surette, 66, a retired accountant from Hyde Park, said he was glad The One Fund had been established and could see it being used for other tragedies as well.

“It [The One Fund] could be useful for lots of things like building fires so that people are not left on the street with just the clothes on their backs over something they had no control over,” he said.

Louise Marvel, 54, a volunteer at the Boston Veteran’s Center from Roxbury, said the governor’s and mayor’s idea was a blessing for those who need it.

“I wish they’d done something like this for [Hurricane] Katrina when I was down in Orlando, [Fla.] because it’s really nice to see that, despite all the problems we find in this city, we can get together like that for each other,” she said.

Marvel said she would like to see The One Fund become a long-term fundraising campaign.

“It’d be neat to see it become a safety net in case things like this happen again,” she said. “Hopefully it won’t [be needed], but it’s good to be prepared.”