Own goal downs Terriers in 1st game of league play

In its first-ever game Patriot League game as members of the conference, the Boston University women’s soccer team faced off against the United States Naval Academy. Despite a tough defensive battle, the Terriers fell 1-0 to the Midshipmen in Annapolis, Md., on Friday.

The Terriers (5-3-1, 0-1 Patriot League) came into the game riding a three-game win streak, while the Midshipmen (7-2-0, 1-0 Patriot League) entered the game having won four games in a row.

The Terriers looked to strike first, and senior midfielder Kylie Strom took a shot in the fourth minute of play off of a Terrier corner kick. Despite the early opportunity, the Terriers could not take advantage as the shot went high over the net.

The Midshipmen followed with two shots of their own in the 10th and 16th minutes from forwards Paloma Perez and Ashlynn Soellner. Despite the two chances, neither shot went on goal, as Perez’s shot went high and Soellner’s chance went wide.  Soellner was able to get off another opportunity three minutes later but again was not able to get the ball on target.

Junior midfielder Jamie Turchi recorded the game’s first shot on goal for the Terriers in the 30th minute of play with an attempt from just outside the 18-yard box. Although she was not tested up until that point, goalkeeper Elizabeth Hoerner was able to make the save.

After another Perez miss and several substitutions, the Midshipmen finally broke through in the 43rd minute on an own goal by the Terriers. Navy crossed the ball into the penalty box and as BU attempted to clear the ball outside of the box, it was knocked into the net.  The own goal was the first one the Terriers have committed since 2000 in a game against Fairfield University.

The own goal put the Terriers down 1-0 going into the break. While BU trailed 1-0 on the scoreboard, the teams were even in the shot department with five apiece. The Terriers led in corner kicks, getting three to Navy’s one.

In the opening minutes of the second half, the Midshipmen got out to a fast start, as Perez took a shot in the 47th minute that went just wide. Midfielder Rachel Hunter hit a low driving shot in the 63rd minute that senior goalkeeper Andrea Green was able to stop, keeping the score at 1-0.

Green stepped up again for the Terriers in the 75th minute, making three straight saves to keep the Terriers in the contest.  Green amassed four saves in the match, giving her a season total of 22.

Despite Green and the Terrier defense playing well after the chaos leading to the own goal, the Terrier offense struggled against a strong Navy defense. The Midshipmen defense played an offside trap strategy, which gave BU trouble, as the Terriers were caught offside six times throughout the game.

BU’s first chance in the second half came off of the foot of senior forward Madison Clemens in the 69th minute of play, but the shot went wide of the net.

BU made a charge in the game’s final 10 minutes, looking to knot up the score. Strom was able to get off two shots in the 82nd minute, with both being blocked by the stout Navy defense. Those two chances were then followed by a Terrier corner kick, which led to no change on the scoreboard. Despite having multiple chances to tie up the score, the Terriers were not able to put the ball into the back of the net and fell to the Midshipmen 1-0, snapping the Terriers’ three-game winning streak.

Jackie is a sports reporter for The Daily Free Press and has previously served as Managing Editor and Associate Sports Editor of the FreeP. At this moment, she's probably watching Shark Tank and thinking of ways to work, "and for that reason, I'm out," into casual conversations. Please send all inquiries in the form of a box combo from Cane's with no coleslaw and extra fries or follow her on Twitter at @jackie_bam