EDIT: A-Rod: A victim or a perpetrator?

Alex Rodriguez: Baseball player, household name and proud liar. Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig suspended legendary A-Rod for 211 games because of his links to Biogenesis, a lab in Coral Gables, FL. In 2007, Rodriguez denied using steroids, but he later admitted to it in 2009. The thing is, Rodriguez also tested positive for steroids back in 2003.

Rodriguez accused the MLB of investigating his case overzealously, including using intimidation, bribing of a witness and even buying stolen documents, according to a NJ.com story published Sunday. He says the suspension is too heavy-handed for a first-time offender, citing the normal 50-game suspension Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun received.

Since his breakthrough with the Seattle Mariners, A-Rod has been a public figure, a name little-leaguers cite when on the field. Since signing the largest contract in MLB history — a $252 million, 10-year deal with the Texas Rangers — the public eye was firmly focused on him. But then he tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

After that, he got a second chance. Then, that second chance unraveled when he went to Biogenesis in Florida in 2007, where he admitted to using steroids again.

MLB administrators claim Rodriguez violated his collective bargaining agreement instead of citing the Joint Drug Agreement, according to a Sports Illustrated article July 29. Because nobody punished A-Rod back in 2003, he is technically a first-time offender, but the MLB decided that a 211-game suspension is fitting.

It is one thing when an average outfielder uses steroids to hit .280 instead of a .250. But it strikes a chord with fans when someone who wins MVP and proceeds to becomes one of the best players in the league uses steroids. Rodriguez should have known he was someone who garnered a lot of attention in the MLB. He even had a chance to retain his clean image and even to appear as a victim because his 2003 confidential test results were leaked.

To play devil’s advocate, it is impossible to think of steroids without thinking of A-Rod. On that note, his counter-lawsuit is justified. As an individual, he is singlehandedly associated with a corrupt modern version of baseball where nothing is genuine and steroids are the norm, and this to a degree is defamation.

But then again, he is the face many aspiring MLB players look up to. This is proof that Rodriguez has a blatant disrespect for the institution and the game. He helped ruin the modern game and continues to play a victim. At some point, he needs to accept the suspension as a justified consequence.