Kayla Tutino comes through for Terriers in 1st conference game

While the Boston University women’s hockey team played a game in which it took seven penalties, the Terriers ended up coming out on top with a 3-2 overtime win against crosstown rival Northeastern University. Although it was a sloppy, penalty-filled game, junior forward Kayla Tutino put forward a near flawless effort, posting a plus-3 and registering two points in the Terrier victory.

“I just thought that I kept it simple,” Tutino said on her effort. “I put the puck where it was supposed to be and didn’t make things too complicated. I think that’s what helped.”

In a team filled with many strong players during the 2012-13 campaign — the Terriers (4-1-1, 1-0 Hockey East) played in the National Championship — Tutino’s play may have been overshadowed by her teammates. As a sophomore last season, she posted 28 points for the Terriers, scoring 15 goals and assisting on 13, good for sixth on the team in points. It was her second straight year in which she registered at least 20 points.

Coming into the game against the Huskies (4-5, 1-2 Hockey East), Tutino had just two assists in the first five games played and had not registered a goal. With a solid effort at Matthews Arena, things changed for the Lorraine, Quebec, native.

Just over a minute into the opening period of the contest, Tutino registered her first point of the contest. After taking a pass from freshman forward Samantha Sutherland, Tutino looked to pass it to a charging Sarah Lefort. Tutino passed the puck just past a Northeastern defenseman, which Lefort was able to grab and put by the blocker of Northeastern goaltender Chloe Desjardins. It was the Terriers’ fifth first-period goal of the season.

Heading into the second period, the game was tied at one apiece, but just minutes in, it looked as if the Terriers would take advantage. Despite having an extended 5-on-3 chance, the Terriers could not put one by Desjardins. Although they had missed chances, it was Tutino who put the Terriers back on top with her first goal of the season.

After a delayed penalty on the Huskies, the Terriers took the puck up the left wing boards. Senior captain Louise Warren took it into the Northeastern zone and found Tutino racing up the middle of the ice. Warren fired the puck towards Tutino, who one-timed the puck past the glove of a helpless Desjardins, giving the Terriers a one-goal lead 13 minutes into the second period. After having 24 shots this season without a goal, Tutino finally registered her first of the season.

“I think I was at the right place at the right time,” Tutino said about her goal. “I was calling for the puck and [Warren] saw me, and I just went to the net. It was just a good opportunity.”

Tutino’s goal looked to be the one that would hold up for the Terriers, but late in the third period, the Huskies answered, tying the game up with just over six minutes left in the third period. Instead of Tutino securing the game-winner, the contest headed into overtime.

Although the Terriers headed to an extra frame for the third time this season, it was Tutino who helped the team come away with a win late in overtime. While the Huskies looked to get the puck out of their own defensive end of the ice, Tutino was crucial in keeping the puck inside the offensive zone. Her help on the offensive forecheck allowed Warren to score the winning tally for the Terriers.

With her effort against Northeastern, BU coach Brian Durocher said he was pleased with Tutino’s effort and numbers against the Huskies.

“It was arguably her best game of the year tonight,” Durocher said. “She got on the score sheet and picked up a big goal, which I was hoping might hang in there to be the winner but it didn’t happen. She got a lot of ice time, maybe too much ice time. Give her credit, she’s got a heart as big as anyone on this team and fights and competes. She has the heart of a lion and got it done tonight.”