City, News, Politics

East Boston casino vote fails

Voters denied permission to construct a casino on the Suffolk Downs racetrack in East Boston and Revere on a ballot question Tuesday.

About 56.02 percent of voters, or 4,281 people, cast their votes against allowing Suffolk Downs to proceed with plans to construct a casino. 43.92 percent of voters, or 3,353 people, voted yes with 100 percent of precincts reporting.

In a controversial decision, only East Boston residents were allowed to vote on the ballot question. Some argued that all Bostonians should have been allowed to vote because the casino would have affected Boston as a whole.

The casino can still be built on the Revere side of Suffolk Downs, as 61 percent of eligible Revere voters said yes to the ballot question. Plans must be revamped to meet these needs.

The casino plans have been a source of controversy in past months. Advocacy group No Eastie Casino campaigned substantially against allowing it to be built, claiming it would increase addiction, crime and traffic in the area.

Proponents of the casino said it would improve the area’s economy and create jobs.

More details to come.