BU School of Global Studies to open in Fall 2014

A new school will open within Boston University’s College of Arts and Sciences for the Fall 2014 semester that will offer students a chance to explore global studies, BU officials announced today.

The new addition to CAS, named the Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies, will strive to educate students interested in contributing to the greater good of humanity through both classroom research and real-world applications, said BU spokesman Colin Riley.

“The Pardee School of Global Studies’ mission is its dedication to advancing human progress and improving the human condition through rigorous undergraduate, graduate and professional education, path-breaking research and active engagement in innovative projects that apply this education and knowledge to the critical challenges,” Riley said.

The school’s establishment was made possible by a $25 million endowment from Frederick S. Pardee, a 1954 graduate of BU’s School of Management, and will serve as a complement to the Pardee Center for Studies of the Longer Range Future, which he also endowed, Riley said.

“It is consistent with his focus on education, and is a follow-up to his establishment of the Pardee Center for Studies of the Longer-Range Future, which he did more than a decade ago,” Riley said. “That will provide a complementary research function of the new school.”

The new school will incorporate the three topics of social sciences, natural sciences and the humanities, Riley said.

“It brings the best in research and knowledge from these multiple disciplinary areas in a cohesive way to look at what is taking place in the world and in certain regions of the world where there are specific challenges,” he said.

Riley said Pardee’s success in business after graduating from SMG coupled with his desire to make the world a better place were the motivations for establishing the school in CAS.

“The most basic thing is that he [Pardee] wants to make a better world,” Riley said. “He credits his education at BU SMG in 1954 for his success in business and he realizes that his success has given him the opportunity to do these things to improve the lives of others, and that accounts for his establishment of the research center and this new school.”