Women’s soccer settles for draw against Army

Senior midfielder Jamie Turchi registered two shots Saturday against Army. PHOTO BY ANN SINGER/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s soccer team faced off against the United States Military Academy in its second Patriot League game of the season Saturday, which ended in a 1-1 draw after two overtime periods.

Former players, families and friends of the BU team gathered on Nickerson Field at halftime to celebrate the program’s twenty years under BU coach Nancy Feldman.

“It was certainly a special day for our program,” Feldman said. “It’s a celebration of 20 years of BU women’s soccer, and a lot of people came back. We’re a big family, and it just keeps growing.”

“She brings so much to us,” said junior forward Jenna Fisher after the game. “She knows so much about the game. She cares about this team and program immensely and her hard work and dedication she instills in us. I’m really happy for her.”

Unfortunately, Saturday’s game — the third-ever meeting between the two teams — was not the outcome the Terriers (5-3-2, 1-0-1 Patriot League) had hoped for. The Black Knights (4-5-1, 1-0-1 Patriot League) jumped out to an early lead, as defender Sam Gottlieb found the back of the net in the 19th minute and put Army up 1-0. Army kept the BU attack at bay and constantly limited its offensive chances. BU finished the first half without recording a single shot.

Feldman attributed her team’s slow start to either pressure her players put on themselves or a lack of focus going into the first half.

“We were getting beat player for player,” Feldman said. “[Army was] playing a 4-3-3, we were playing a 4-3-3. They were beating us at every spot.

“I asked each of them to raise their game, do better than they were doing. They didn’t have to be heroic and do more than that. But everybody had to win their battle and play with a greater sense of urgency.”

The Terriers came out with a renewed sense of urgency in the second half, and the results immediately followed, as Fisher scored her fourth goal of the season in the 65th minute to knot the score at 1-1.

Fisher has emerged as the main offensive spark for the Terriers, as the Longmeadow native scored the game-winning goal in the team’s Patriot League opener against the United States Naval Academy on Sept. 20.

Feldman subbed seven players in the 54th mark to give Army a different look, contributing to an obvious offensive edge in the second half and going into both overtimes. Army had only one shot the entire game, Gottlieb’s goal in the first half.

“I thought the second half, the reason we were able to get more shots, happens way before the shot,” Feldman said. “It’s winning the individual battles. It’s running through balls. You’ve got to do that, win the physicality part of the game: first to it, good starting position, good footwork.”

Senior midfielder Jamie Turchi, freshman defender Alivya Wimmer, senior forward Ana Cuffia, junior defender McKenzie Hollenbaugh, senior forward Taylor Krebs and Fisher all had shot opportunities over the final 65 minutes of play, but Army kept the score tied at one thanks to goalkeeper Jordan Cassalia, who collected five saves Saturday afternoon.

“In the last two weeks, I feel the training’s been really, really positive,” Feldman said. “I feel we’re at the cusp of transferring that to the game more consistently, so I’m very hopeful that that’s what they’ll do.”

I transferred to BU after playing a year of college hoops at Wesleyan University. Previous experience includes interning at the 7NBC-Boston (WHDH-TV) sports desk. I'm excited to cover women's soccer this fall for the Daily Free Press. Follow me here: @kfin2bu