Women’s soccer looks to continue winning ways versus Dartmouth

Sophomore forward Erica Kosienski recorded five points in Saturday's win over Lafayette. PHOTO BY FALON MORAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Sophomore forward Erica Kosienski recorded five points in Saturday’s win over Lafayette. PHOTO BY FALON MORAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s soccer team will look to keep up its strong play when it goes up against Dartmouth College Tuesday at Nickerson Field.

The Terriers (8-3-3, 3-0-2 Patriot League) will be looking to even the all-time series between the two clubs, as Dartmouth (3-3-4) currently leads the matchup with a 7-6-5 mark. The Big Green have recently played a string of very close games, as three of their last four contests have been decided in double overtime. The Terriers will look to stop Dartmouth’s offensive attack and attempt to break the double overtime streak.

“We really just want to keep doing what we’re doing,” said BU coach Nancy Feldman. “We respect them, they’re a very good team, very tough defensively, very good goalkeeping, they have a very good player in [junior forward] Corey Delaney, a lot of other attacking personalities that have speed. It’s going to be a good soccer game. It always is against Dartmouth.”

Delaney is always a threat to score, as she averages 3.2 shots per game and scored in the Big Green’s matchup with Princeton University on Oct. 4.

The Terriers will no doubt be looking to sophomore forward Erica Kosienski, as she looks to continue her torrid streak of scoring against opposing defenses. Kosienski was responsible for two goals and one assist for a grand total of five points in Saturday’s win over Lafayette College. She also netted the game winner in double overtime against Harvard the 105th minute Wednesday.

Senior centerback Kai Miller and junior forward Jenna Fisher have also provided depth and reinforcement behind Kosienski. Miller scored her first goal of the season in the fourth minute against the Leopards (4-8-0, 1-4 Patriot League) while Fisher tallied an assist.

“Erica certainly proved herself last year as a threat with scoring big goals,” Feldman said. “It’s nice to see for her and for us to get on track and her confidence to grow, because goal scorers feel confident when they’re scoring goals. That’s good news. The team is in the best place possible if you aren’t counting on one individual to do it or lift you.”

The Terriers also hope to continue their strong second-half play as they have come out attacking against recent opponents, scoring four goals in the second half of Saturday’s matchup with the Leopards, and two — including one in double overtime —against Harvard (7-3-2) on Wednesday.

“Halftimes are times for us to help the players, support the players and figure out the game. That’s what coaches should do or try to do,” Feldman said. “We’re not banging or kicking lockers or screaming and yelling.

“It’s about identifying one or two things that we can do better, pay attention to a little bit more of, that I think this is a way for us to get a better hold of the game, and that’s what we try to do as a coaching stuff. They listen in the heat of battle and work hard to apply things.”

Doug covers women's soccer and other sports for the Daily Free Press. When he's not doing schoolwork, writing, or being a social butterfly on campus, he enjoys playing the piano, or hitting the course for a round of golf.