Men’s soccer receives big boost from Thomson

Senior goaltender Nick Thomson has recorded eight shutouts on the season. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

In what could be classified as one of its sloppiest games of the year, the No. 25 Boston University men’s soccer team came up with a 0-0 draw against American University Saturday at Nickerson Field.

The Terriers (11-3-3, 6-0-2 Patriot League) and the Eagles (10-3-3, 4-2-2 Patriot League) both played through rough weather conditions, including rain and high winds.

Despite the scoreless game, the Terriers came away with at least a share of their 12th regular season conference title, with their last one coming in 2011. The Terriers have had a superb season thus far, with perhaps no one deserving more credit than senior goalkeeper Nick Thomson.

“It was rough out there today,” said BU coach Neil Roberts. “So I’m not upset with the results. I think we did a good job, considering what we had to play in. We knew it was going to come down to our defense and goalkeeper, and we always feel like we have the advantage there.”

In his senior year, Thomson is having a colossal season. The Cramlington, England native was stout against the Eagles attack, recording his Patriot League-leading eighth shutout of the season.

Much of Thomson’s success can be attributed to the defense in front of him. Senior defender Kelvin Madzongwe is also having a phenomenal year, as the 2011 American East Defender of the Year continues to lead a stout backline. Freshman defender Bjarki Benediktsson and junior defender Jeroen Blugh have also made quality contributions, as they continue to shutdown opposing wingers. The Terriers are second in the league in average goals against, as they have only allowed 12 goals in 17 games.

“The defense, overall, has been really good,” Roberts said. “Even with these conditions, I thought they played really well. Kelvin was great. He went down for a second, but he’s fine. You know, I knew today was going to be rough for our offense, but I trusted our defense to take care of things, and they did.”

While the Terriers’ defense has been elite, Thomson has been just as effective in net, as he leads the league in save percentage, registering 60 saves while allowing only 12 goals.

“He [Thomson] has been outstanding this season,” Roberts said. “He has made every save we’ve pretty much needed him to make. I can’t say enough about Nick. You know, our defense has been great and everything, but without Nick, I honestly don’t know where we would be. He was great today, just like he’s been all season.”

While he leads the league in most goalkeeper categories, he is only fourth in saves (60). The Terrier defense has worked together throughout the season to keep Thomson from having to make dozens of saves each game. The teamwork, between offense, defense and goalkeeping, will carry the team through the postseason, Roberts said.

“We have one more game left,” he said. “We just need to get through this game with healthy bodies. We are really excited for the postseason. I feel like we have all the pieces: a great goalkeeper, a great defense and a good offense. We just need to get there healthy first.”

When I'm not crying about another Geno Smith turnover, I am covering sports for The Daily Free Press. I am a New York Jets, Mets and Knicks fan, so I do not know what winning is. Please, have mercy and follow me on Twitter at @MannyGomezz