Democrats sweep other Mass. states offices in general election

While Charlie Baker was pulling ahead in the Massachusetts gubernatorial race Tuesday night, becoming the first Republican to sit in the corner office in eight years, Democratic candidates across the Commonwealth were sweeping their own elections.

The Associated Press declared Baker and his running mate for lieutenant governor, Karyn Polito, the winners early Wednesday morning, with approximately 97 percent of precincts reporting. After several hours of fluctuation, Baker pulled ahead of his Democratic opponent Martha Coakley by about 1 to 2 percent.

Across town, in the race for attorney general, Democrat Maura Healey beat Republican John Miller, 61.8 percent to 38.2 percent, the AP reported.

“We built this team together,” Healey said in her victory speech. “The challenges ahead for Massachusetts matter to everyone.”

Democrat incumbent William Galvin was re-elected as secretary of state, garnering 67.6 percent of the vote. Republican David D’Arcangelo received 28.8 percent, and Green-Rainbow Party candidate Danny Factor received 3.6 percent.

The races for treasurer and auditor, each with an independent candidate running, ended equally well for the Democratic Party. Democratic candidate Deb Goldberg received more than half the vote with 55.2 percent, while her opponents, Republican Mike Heffernan and Green-Rainbow Party candidate Ian Jackson, received 40.7 percent and 4.1 percent, respectively.

Incumbent Democrat Suzanne Bump won the race for auditor, gathering 57.9 percent of the vote, with her Republican opponent Patricia Saint Aubin receiving 38 percent and Green-Rainbow opponent MK Merelice receiving 4 percent.

U.S. Sen. Ed Markey won his re-election for U.S. Senate with 62.1 percent of the vote against Republican Brian Herr, who received 37.9 percent. In his acceptance speech, Markey said there are some goals he hopes he achieves throughout his next term in Congress.

“We have more work to do,” he said. “We will not be happy until every child has access to the quality education they need.”

Five district representatives of the Boston University area were re-elected: U.S. Rep. Michael Capuano, Massachusetts Sen. William Brownsberger of the 2nd Suffolk and Middlesex District, Massachusetts Rep. Michael Moran of the 18th Suffolk District, District Attorney Daniel Conley of the Suffolk District and Marilyn Petitto Devaney representing the 3rd District in the Governor’s Council. Capuano, Brownsberger, Moran and Conley ran unopposed.

The election results in this story are with 98 percent of precincts reporting, as reported by the Associated Press.

Former Editor-in-Chief. I'm addicted to The Daily Free Press, and I thrive on coffee, journalism, and jars of Nutella.