FREEBAIRN: (Not) With the Band

I haven’t thought about my days as a fangirl for a long time. This morning, however, while browsing Twitter, a picture caught my eye. It was a single chicken nugget, lying deserted on an asphalt road. The caption read: “here’s one of the nuggets Louis threw at fans.” I quickly recognized the source: “1D News,” one of many (and I mean many) Twitter accounts devoted to updating fans on everything pertaining to One Direction. Louis Tomlinson, the alleged nugget assailant, is one of five members of the British pseudo-boy band. Reading the tweet didn’t just make me burst out laughing. It also brought back a flood of memories.

Four years ago, I could’ve told you the birthdays, favorite colors, towns of origin and heights of every member of One Direction. I was, to put it simply, a superfan. A true Directioner, as they’re known. To assume this title is to go beyond listening to the music: it’s reading every interview, monitoring every girlfriend (or potential girlfriend or female friend) and tracking every tweet. The time and energy that adolescent fans can spend on their idols is unparalleled. I have fond memories of wasting away sophomore government classes with my friends, cross-referencing news accounts to confirm a new haircut.

It’s hard to say where the obsession starts. For me, it was an interview. For others, it was the first music video. But once it begins, you go from sensible teen to crazed lunatic faster than you can say “What Makes You Beautiful.” Soon enough, you’re assuming the investigative duties of an FBI agent, all for the love of five boys who will one day throw chicken nuggets at girls like you.

Older generations may scoff at the hysteria of today’s superfans, but the truth is, this phenomenon is nothing new. Think of the photos of crowds at Beatles concerts, full of screaming ’60s girls in knee-length skirts. Memoirs such as Pamela Des Barres’ “I’m With the Band” and Bebe Buell’s “Rebel Heart” tell the stories of the rock n’ roll groupies of the ’60s and ’70s. These women were, by their own accounts, superfans themselves who had a bit more success than their peers. They were the prototype to the girls we envy today, the ones seen exiting the clubs with our favorite band member.

Pinpointing a reason for young people’s — primarily young females’ — obsession with musical icons is difficult. It probably coincided with the emergence of the traditional rock band, as well as the popularization of live performances and concerts. As anyone who’s been to a great concert will tell you, the difference between hearing your favorite band on the radio and seeing them live is paramount. Being in the physical presence of your idols adds a new dimension of connection with them, opening the recording booth door and revealing the people behind it. The musicians, in turn, get the opportunity to bask in the positive reception of their work.

The more technology allows us to interact with our favorite musicians, the closer we feel to them. Print, TV and radio interviews with bands played — and continue to play — a significant role in giving us a sense for their personalities, and the ones that came off as funny and approachable were the ones that amassed more hysteria. Now, we have the added force of the Internet, social media and smartphones to deal with. Just the other day, a friend of mine commented on an Instagram post by his favorite band. When he checked back, the band had replied to his comment. The possibility of this type of direct interaction incites even more determination in today’s fans. Given the young age of such fans (and that of bands like One Direction), this can be a dangerous game.

It’s not that pop stars have undergone some radical change. They’re no sleazier than they’ve always been (I’m looking at you, Mick Jagger). In fact, you could argue that today’s stars are more discreet than their rock n’ roll predecessors because of the added scrutiny of technology. But with private interactions like Twitter direct messages and Snapchat so readily available, the less morally upstanding of famous musicians can take advantage of young fans without lifting a finger. It’s hard to be held accountable for your actions when there’s a new rumor circulating every minute.

Being a superfan is, and always has been, a gloriously unifying experience. Fans form groups, run twitter accounts and rely on each other more than ever for the shared love of a certain band or musician. Frankly, it’s fun to obsess, and the more people you have to share that with, the more exciting it becomes. But it’s important not to lose sight of ourselves and our own value in the process. Harry Styles, in truth, is probably a lot less perfect in real life than he is in your head. And when the fame becomes so blinding that your dream men start pelting you with fast food, it might be time to move on.