Lacrosse, Sports

Mallory Collins “could become one of the best to ever play at BU”

WLAX23 alexandra wimley1 (1 of 1)
Redshirt junior attack Mallory Collins has 29 goals on the season and has at least four goals in four games so far this season. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

Redshirt junior attack Mallory Collins led the way with four goals Saturday to bring the Boston University women’s lacrosse team to a comeback 14-11 victory against Lafayette College on a snowy day at Nickerson Field.

Collins’ break-out performance was much needed for the team, as it relies on her offensive prowess in the attacking third. Collins frequently carries the scoring load for the Terriers (5-5, 3-1 Patriot League) as Saturday’s performance against Lafayette marked her fourth game this season with at least four goals.

“Her performance was huge in getting that win against Lafayette,” said BU coach Liz Robertshaw. “She was more aggressive, and when she locks in and thinks about ways, she can be a threat she is tough to stop.”

Collins now has 29 goals on the season, and Robertshaw said she continues to motivate her.

On March 21, a home loss to the United States Naval Academy, Collins scored one goal and joined the program’s 100-point club. After the game, Robertshaw was quick to deflect the attention off Mallory’s personal accolades.

“We can get more out of her,” she said. “She should be scoring three or four goals a game.”

After a slow first half for Collins, she took a big step in the right direction, responding to Robertshaw’s halftime criticism.

“I told her [at halftime] I thought she could move a little bit more. She was getting stuck on the elbow,” Robertshaw said.

After trailing by three goals early in the second half, Collins propelled the Terriers to victory, netting all four of her goals in the second frame.

Collins was a force Saturday and Robertshaw said Collins was “definitely” the best player on the field.

“She uses her frame really well, and she can handle the double and doesn’t get rattled,” Robertshaw said.

The 5-foot-9-inch Collins does a great job getting her teammates involved. Although Collins is known for her scoring, she played an integral role in applying pressure on the Leopards’ (2-10, 1-4 Patriot League) defense on Saturday. She led the team with three caused turnovers and scooped up two ground balls.

“When one of your attackmen leads the team in caused turnovers, it tells me that she wants to win,” Robertshaw said. “I could not be more pleased.”

Although Collins may seem intense on the field, Robertshaw said she is a more quiet and humble “gentle giant,” who loves getting her teammates involved.

“She brings a level of calm and looseness. She is such a team player,” she said.

Collins has struggled at times to consistently find that high gear and take over the game, but she is constantly making an impact on the game and just four goals shy of averaging a hat trick per game.

“I think she is getting better and better about taking over the game. She is so humble,” Robertshaw said.

Robertshaw has high praise for her superstar scorer and said she is so talented and smart that she sometimes is a challenge to coach due to her superior ability.

“It is harder to coach a player this talented because I need to push her because I know she can be so good,” Robertshaw said.

Robertshaw said Collins helps make her teammates around her better by having a great understanding for the game.

She is smart, and she sees the next play, and she plays with her teammates’ best interest,” Robertshaw said.

Robertshaw said Collins still has room to progress as a player before she graduates.

“There is a whole new level of player that I think she can reach,” she said, “and she could become one of the best to ever play at BU.”