Women’s soccer looks to extend win streak into Patriot League play

PHOTO BY DANIEL GUAN/DFP FILE PHOTO
Senior midfielder Clare Pleuler has paced the Terrier attack all season long. PHOTO BY DANIEL GUAN/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s soccer team looks to extend their winning streak to three games when they kick off Patriot League play by hosting Bucknell University on Sunday afternoon.

After going winless in their first six games with only three goals, the Terriers (2-4-2) have won back-to-back home games with two goals in each contest. The reigning Patriot League champs are peaking at the right time and have looked much more comfortable during their home stand.

In years past under BU coach Nancy Feldman, the Terriers tend to play their best soccer around the start of league play. If that script holds true again this season, they are in prime position to compete for the league title once again.

Since joining the Patriot League two seasons ago, the Terriers are undefeated against Bucknell (4-3-1), a team that has struggled on the road this season with only one win in five outings.

However, the Bison’s back line will create issues for the patient Terrier offense. They have only surrendered seven goals in eight games and they have outscored their opponents 11-0 in their four wins.

Feldman is well aware of the challenges Bucknell will present on Sunday.

“A team that defends that well, the game can be 1-0, so we need to defend well,” Feldman said. “We need to win 50-50 balls which is something we track and value.”

In the Terriers’ two home wins this past week against Hofstra University and Providence College, the team moved the ball with ease using the entire width of the field to their advantage. Three of the four goals in the last two games have been created from long possessions, normally through the midfield play of senior Clare Pleuler, who leads the team in minutes played per game with 89.

Pleuler is the centerpiece of this Terrier team and sets the tone for the Terriers defensively in the middle. She struck the game-winner from 25 yards out in overtime last weekend against Hofstra (5-3) and she appeared to be the last Terrier to touch the ball before their game-winning own-goal against Providence (6-3) on Thursday.

Feldman knows that Pleuler is a vital piece to her young team.

“She is a wonderful attacking personality as a distributor and [she is] very technical, has a really good sense of the game and can control the tempo,” Feldman said.

Pleuler’s role of spreading the ball down the field to start the attack will be pivotal again this weekend against a stout defensive Bison group.

Despite losing five starters from last year’s team, this year’s young Terrier squad is focused on performing during league play as they did last season.

“Against a team like Bucknell,” Feldman said, “you want to be sure that you are sharp defensively.”