Community, Features

Dia de los Muertos celebration supports cultural community on campus

Marsh Chapel's Global Ministries Department and the Boston University Mexican Student Association celebrated the Dia de los Muertos on Nov. 1. PHOTO COURTESY PABLO RODRIGUEZ
Marsh Chapel’s Global Ministries Department and the Boston University Mexican Student Association celebrated the Dia de los Muertos on Nov. 1. PHOTO COURTESY PABLO RODRIGUEZ

Mexican communities around the world began celebrating “Dia de los Muertos,” or the Day of the Dead, Sunday. Dia de los Muertos is a traditional holiday that honors deceased loved ones through prayers, traditional foods and decorated altars. Right here at Boston University, however, the Mexican Students Association, in partnership with the Global Ministries Department at Marsh Chapel, hosted its own celebration, welcoming all students, including the many members of Latin American clubs on campus.

Just inside the chapel, there was an altar with traditional decorations and photographs of deceased family members and friends. There, people were able to pay their respects and honor those who have passed. Students of Mexas at BU also made sure to include authentic Mexican dishes such as pan de muerto, a customary sweet bread, along a separate table.

The students and the Global Ministries Department created a fun and traditional atmosphere for those both familiar and unfamiliar with the holiday celebration. The combination of food, décor and students filing in made for a celebration not to be missed and a holiday to be remembered.

The event at Marsh originated when members of the chapel reached out to the club to plan and host a traditional celebration, symbolizing BU’s appreciation and consideration of different cultures on campus, said Anai Sanchez Riveron, public relations chair for Mexas and a junior in the College of Communication.

“Just to receive that support from BU means a lot to all of us,” she said. “It means they notice us and know that we are here and they want to incorporate our traditions into the community.”

As a school with students coming from all over the world and from diverse backgrounds, BU, members of Mexas members said, is making the effort to not only include all students, but to extend the resources and encouragement to celebrate their different cultures.

Although the holiday surrounds deceased loved ones, it is at its core a celebration of their lives, of their memories and of the appreciation of life. It was hard to miss the enjoyment in the room as students filled the space and the hallway outside. Many attendees were smiling or laughing, with plates heaping with food in hand.

“[The celebration] is about being happy and knowing that the people who have passed away are still with you spiritually and are still around you,” said Daniel Fernández Malagón, president of Mexas and a junior in the Questrom School of Business.

The warm feeling that pervaded the space was not from the lasting heat of the provided green hot sauce, but from a feeling of home. This celebration made it possible for students away from their families to be a part of a familiar community.

“I think it’s really cool that we’re celebrating this,” said Kennia Garcia, a sophomore in Questrom. “It makes me feel more at home.”

In such a large university, home can sometimes be difficult to find. Although many find it through friends or special places around campus, Mexas and Marsh Chapel built another community through this celebration, members of Mexas said. Students were able to journey back through their cultures and practice traditions, right here on campus.

Although Dia de los Muertos is an appreciation of the deceased, Fernández said everyone celebrates the day differently.

“There are actually many different takes on it,” he said. “There’s the Day of the Dead, the Day of All Souls. At the end of the day, you have your own take on it. I personally take it as a remembrance of people.”

The opportunity for the Mexas to host its own celebration represented an appreciation and acceptance of culture from both the students and Boston University itself, Fernández said. Not only was the event considered a success, but Mexas and student attendees obtained something in addition to a place to honor their loved ones.

“We as a club feel it is very important to represent our culture, our country and our people,” Fernández said. “We think that it is a very important celebration, especially this weekend, when everyone was out for Halloween. It helps us put our little grain of salt into the BU community.”