Men’s basketball takes on New Jersey Institute of Technology

PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP FILE PHOTO
Sophomore guard Cheddi Mosely has made seven 3-pointers so far this season. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University men’s basketball team will take on the New Jersey Institute of Technology Thursday in its first away game of the season.

Coming off their close win against the State University of New York at Albany, the Terriers (1-1) will look to carry that momentum into this game.

The Highlanders (1-1) are coming off a tight game of their own, as they squeaked past the University of South Florida Monday, 60-57. However, before that, NJIT was blown out by No. 2 University of Kentucky, a national powerhouse.

BU’s biggest task will be trying to contain NJIT junior Damon Lynn, who averages 23 points per game, including 19 against a stout Kentucky (3-0) defense. The Hillside, New Jersey product has started every game since his freshman year, upping his average from 17.2 PPG to 17.5 PPG in his sophomore season.

BU coach Joe Jones knows stopping Lynn won’t be an easy task.

“It’s going to be a team effort to stop him,” he said. “We have to throw different guys [at him] and be aware of where he is at all times. He’s so good. We can’t let him get into a groove, especially in their home opener with their crowd into it. We have to keep him off balance and out of rhythm.”

While the Highlanders have a go-to guy, BU spreads the wealth, as all five starters scored in double-digits against Northeastern University. Meanwhile, three players scored more than 15 points against Albany (0-2), including 21 points from senior guard John Papale.

Much of the BU’s game lies in its ability to shoot 3-pointers effectively. The players shot 59 3-pointers this season and only connected on 21. The Highlanders will make the Terriers’ deep game difficult, as their opponents only make 25.6 percent of their shots beyond the arc.

Jones acknowledged that 3-pointers are crucial to his team, especially with junior guard Cedric Hankerson recovering from a torn ACL and junior guard Eric Fanning still suspended.

“It’s who we are. Obviously we want to get the ball in the paint more for diversity and balance,” Jones said. “But if guys like [sophomore guard] Cheddi [Mosely] and John [Papale] get open looks, we want them to shoot. With Hankerson and Fanning out, it’s harder for our team to get to the foul line, which they did so effectively last year. We need better balance.”

Jones said if the Terriers hope to be successful, they have to continue to play as a team.

“We have to continue to play together and unselfishly,” Jones said. “We really have to have confidence in our system, and we’ll consistently improve. I think we’ll be a very good team if we continue to trust the system.”

BU’s clash with NJIT bears long-term significance, as it kicks off a five-game road trip. They’ll use this trip as a measuring stick to assess where they are as a team, and build from there on out.

“The most important thing for road games is to get to the loose balls,” Jones said. “The 50-50 balls are important because we can’t get outworked, especially on the road. We have to be the aggressor. We’re facing a lot of tough teams in the next five so we have to make sure to get those loose balls because that will determine the game.”