Mayor Walsh chairs task force to address substance abuse

Mayor Walsh lead the first meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayor's Substance Abuse, Prevention and Recovery Services Task Force Wednesday as part of the 84th Annual Winter Meeting in Washington, D.C. PHOTO BY OLIVIA NADEL/DFP FILE PHOTO
Mayor Walsh lead the first meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayor’s Substance Abuse, Prevention and Recovery Services Task Force Wednesday as part of the 84th Annual Winter Meeting in Washington, D.C. PHOTO BY OLIVIA NADEL/DFP FILE PHOTO

Mayor Martin Walsh chaired the first meeting Thursday for the U.S. Conference of Mayor’s Substance Abuse, Prevention and Recovery Services Task Force. The task force aims to tackle the national epidemic of substance abuse, while also improving treatment and recovery plans for individuals currently affected by addiction.

In a Thursday press release, Walsh said mayors have an obligation to address the substance abuse issue in order to better the lives of their constituents.

“Addressing substance abuse is something that we, as mayors, have a responsibility to do,” Walsh said in the release. “We need to incorporate aspects of tackling substance abuse into all functions of city government, from public health to public works, from outreach and recovery to operations and resources.”

Samantha Ormsby, spokesperson for Walsh, said the task force would focus on the “three key pieces” of substance abuse.

“The task force hopes to collaborate across cities on ways to reduce substance abuse, increase access to and improve treatment and recovery services,” Ormsby said.

The press release stated that in 2014, more people died from substance abuse than any other year on record and opioid overdose deaths were at record highs, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to the release, Walsh teamed up with the Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation to both ensure that all first responders carry Narcan, an opioid antagonist, and to release a report regarding the status of substance abuse and addiction within Boston. As a result, the first municipal Office of Recovery Services in the country was opened.

The press release stated that the ORS aims to improve high quality addiction and recovery services and to help the families and friends of those suffering from opioid addiction.

In an Oct. 8 press release regarding Walsh’s appointment as head of the task force, Walsh said he was honored to be named chair and looked forward to the change he could help start regarding the negative effects of drug and alcohol use.

“With the ongoing opioids crisis, too many individuals and families are all too familiar with the destruction that substance abuse causes in our homes, workplaces and on our streets,” Walsh said in the release. “I look forward to teaming up with mayors from across the country to make sure recovery services are readily available to those who need it, and develop strategies to overcome this public health crisis.”

In the Oct. 8 press release, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said she was excited for the experience that Mayor Walsh brings to the position.

“Mayor Walsh brings a wealth of personal and professional experience to this critical policy discussion,” Rawlings-Blake said in the release. “We look forward to his leadership on an issue that is vitally important to the success of our cities and the quality-of-life of our residents.”

Several residents said they agreed that it is time to take action against the national epidemic of substance abuse.

Bill Austin, 52, of Dorchester, said that the topic of substance abuse is personal.

“We do need something,” he said. “I know quite a few people who have perished from substance abuse.”

Srinivasan Krishnan, 47, of Back Bay, said he was pleased that mayors are taking the initiative to try to solve such a major issue.

“Substance abuse is a big deal here,” he said. “Anything that local government officials are doing to help is great.”

Marcia Niles, 46, of the South End, was happy to see a Boston representative dealing with such an important issue.

“It’s great that mayors around the country want to help out with this issue,” she said. “Walsh has been doing plenty of work and it’s really exciting to see someone from Boston leading the charge.”