Lacrosse, Sports

Women’s lacrosse ready for season, Patriot League slate

Senior Ally Adams finished last season with 36 points. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

After an up-and-down 2014-15 season, the Boston University women’s lacrosse team is ready to turn the page.

With a full slate of Patriot League and non-conference games ahead, BU hopes to make an 8-10 season a thing of the past and return to its winning ways, BU head coach Liz Robertshaw said. The chance to do just that begins Friday when crosstown rival No. 8 Boston College visits Nickerson Field, after which five away contests follow suit.

Robertshaw identified consistency as key to her team’s impending journey and said she’s excited to see what players young and old bring to the table.

“I think a big focus for us this season is to be more consistent than we have been in the past,” Robertshaw said. “We want our team to be aggressive attacking-wise, take lots of chances, get more shots around the cage and obviously score lots of goals.”

Robertshaw also highlighted team defense as something that must improve, mindful of the fact that BU struggled in that regard in 2014-15. Opposing teams scored 10.11 goals per game last season and averaged 23 shots per game.

“Defensively, we want to be more consistent in terms of our play,” Robertshaw said. “We want to limit the amount of shots that our goaltenders see, limit the amount of time we have to play on defense and get the ball to our attackers more.”

This year, seven seniors will return to the team, including midfielders Jill Horka and Ally Adams. Horka was named to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team after totaling 22 points in 17 games her junior year. Adams finished last season with 26 goals and 10 assists, good for second on the team in points behind senior attacker Mallory Collins’ 40.

With those contributions present once more, Robertshaw added that she’s observed a veteran presence in the locker room and on the field from day one.

“This year’s group of seniors made the decision at the end of last year that they were going to work harder and really connect the team together in order to put forth a better effort and a better team,” Robertshaw said. “They have done that, and it’s exceeded my expectations.”

Robertshaw continued in saying that come April, a time when each result is increasingly scrutinized, the veteran leadership will be even more invaluable.

“They came back to school in shape during the fall, and they’ve worked very hard on and off the field to make sure that the team is well connected,” Robertshaw said. “They are excited to go and play, which has been really impressive not only to me, but the entire staff.”

The Terriers also welcome five freshman onto the roster for the upcoming season, as attackers Catherine McAuley and Molly Kern, midfielders Kaitlin Belval and Kelly Mathews and defender Tonianne Magnelli have joined the ranks.

Robertshaw shied away from placing too much pressure on any newcomer, but said she feels they’ve adjusted to college lacrosse well so far.  

“This is a very strong freshmen class, and we are proud to have them,” Robertshaw said. “The seniors have done a good job of explaining the expectations to the freshmen, and they want them to take on challenges and take risks. They also want to help the freshmen grow and become the best players they possibly can be during the season.”

For the third-straight year, BU was polled to finish third overall in the Patriot League. Robertshaw said that she appreciates the recognition, but believes the team can aspire to greater heights than that.

“Obviously we are proud of where we stand in the poll, but I think we can be even better,” Robertshaw said. “Last season was tough at times, but there are many spots where there’s room for improvement and growth. I think as long as we stay close as a team and play up to our capabilities, we can go far this season.”