Women’s soccer set for penultimate regular season contest vs. Army

Sophomore midfielder Dorrie Varley-Barrett has been a consistent player for the Terriers throughout the season. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Only two games remain in the Boston University women’s soccer team’s regular season. In their penultimate contest before the Patriot League Tournament, the Terriers (6-10-1, 6-1 Patriot League) will take on the United States Military Academy on Saturday at Nickerson Field.

At first glance, the Terriers’ record doesn’t seem promising. However, they have been playing exceptionally well since the start of conference play. Army (4-9-2, 2-3-2 Patriot League) is in a similar position. They’ve become a stronger team as the season progressed, but the Terriers appear to be the better team.

That being said, BU head coach Nancy Feldman does not expect it to be an easy win, especially since Army just fell 5-0 to Colgate University on Wednesday night.

“I don’t like playing teams who just came off a bad loss,” Feldman said. “It just gives them another motivation.”

BU, on the other hand, hasn’t lost a game since Sept. 18. The Terriers have found a formula that works for them, and their offense has finally found a groove after scoring just two goals through their first 10 contests.

“It’s our continuation and commitment to do those little things,” Feldman said. “We win battles, and 50/50 balls.”

Feldman noted that it has been the efforts of the entire team that has spurred the team’s turnaround.

“No matter who we have on the field, the strength of our team is our depth,” Feldman said.

Youth has been key for BU in 2016, as there are 16 underclassmen on the roster.

Sophomore midfielder Dorrie Varley-Barrett has started every game this season, and while she’s only notched one goal and one assist, she is a consistent presence in the middle of the field. 

Freshman forward Kelly Park is also becoming a crucial to the Terriers’ success. She also has only one goal, but her minutes have increased as the season has progressed, an indication of Feldman’s growing trust in her.

Though they may be second in the league standings behind undefeated Bucknell University, they still have skills to improve on, according to Feldman.

“Our transition in attack is something to work on,” Feldman said. “We need to to do a better job under pressure keeping the ball.”

The Black Knights will certainly be applying a great deal of pressure on Saturday. As the season comes to a close, any opportunity to move up in standings is important, and one should expect them to be playing with this sense of urgency.

Adding fuel to the fire is the fact that Army hasn’t made it to the conference tournament since 2014, and advanced past the quarterfinals since 2011.

Junior Clare Shea leads the Black Knights offense with four goals and five assists, while midfielder Samantha Sullenger has netted three goals of her own.

Goalkeeper Jordan Cassalia has a 0.767 save percentage when facing league opponents. BU senior goalkeeper Bridget Conway is seventh in the league with an overall save percentage of 0.759.

Between both of its goalkeepers, BU allows 1.47 goals a game, while Cassalia has surrendered 1.58 goals per game. Both teams will be looking to create offensive chances in the face of stingy goalkeeping.

Ultimately, Feldman believes the match will come down to whether or not her team can keep up an attacking nature throughout the 90 minutes.

“It’s going to be a continued emphasis on keeping the ball under pressure,” Feldman said.