OUTVETS to march in South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade

OUTVETS, which was recently denied a spot in the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade, will now lead the annual procession after organizers reversed their decision. PHOTO COURTESY MASSACHUSETTS OFFICE OF TRAVEL AND TOURISM

OUTVETS, a Boston-based organization of gay veterans, will now be allowed to march in the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade after the reversal of a decision by the Allied War Veterans Council of South Boston that originally banned the group from participating.

The organization had marched in the past two St. Patrick’s Day parades in Boston without incident, according to a statement released on OUTVETS’ Facebook page on March 7.

“Our presence [in the past two parades] helped to break through the fog[,] ill-will and discrimination that so distracted from the fine goals of this event — a community-hosted parade to honor all kinds of Veterans,” OUTVETS wrote in the statement.

OUTVETS was informed on March 10 that the Allied War Veterans Council would be holding a vote to readdress their decision of banning the group from marching, according to a statement on the organization’s Facebook page from March 10.

The vote was unanimous, with all 11 council members agreeing to permanently include OUTVETS in the parade, according to the statement.

“We are encouraged by the further actions of the Council to reform their policies and procedures regarding management of this historic parade,” OUTVETS wrote in the statement. “These changes will make the parade more inclusive and transparent for the entire community.”

OUTVETS also expressed its gratitude for the support it received from the Boston community during this contentious time.

“We are honored and humbled by all the outpouring of support that has been displayed for our LGBTQ Veterans — who are one of the most unrepresented demographics in our Veterans community,” OUTVETS wrote in the statement.

The decision to allow OUTVETS to march in the parade came after significant public backlash, including a statement made by Boston Mayor Martin Walsh, who had announced before the vote that he would boycott the parade unless OUTVETS could march.

“I will not tolerate discrimination in our city of any form,” Walsh said in the statement. “We are one Boston, which means we are a fully inclusive city. I will not be marching in the parade unless this is resolved.”

Samantha Ormsby, Walsh’s associate press secretary, said the mayor has several initiatives in place already to promote the inclusion of the LGBTQ community.

“Earlier this year we flew the transgender flag at City Hall and the mayor has said it will continue to fly until everyone is equal under the law in Massachusetts,” Ormsby said. “The mayor also signed an executive order for gender-neutral restrooms in the Boston City Hall.”

Ormsby said Walsh will continue to fight for LGBTQ rights in Boston.

“The mayor has spoken extensively about how Boston will continue to be an inclusive city to everyone, regardless of race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation … and that is exactly what we will continue doing,” Ormsby said.

Massachusetts Sen. Edward Markey had said in a statement while he is proud to represent South Boston, he also would not march in the parade unless the decision was reversed.

“I have been proud to support our LGBTQ community throughout my career and will continue to until every person, regardless of identity, receives full equality in our state and across our country,” Markey said in the statement. “I am deeply disappointed that the parade organizers have excluded OUTVETS from this year’s parade.”

Boston City Councilor Tito Jackson had written in a statement on his Facebook page that he would not march in future St. Patrick’s Day parades until the LGBTQ community is permanently included.

“Discrimination should have no friend in Boston, and I will not support an event organized by some who went out of their way to exclude our LGBTQ friends and neighbors,” Jackson wrote in the statement.

Now that OUTVETS became a permanent member of the march, several Boston residents expressed their happiness over the decision to let OUTVETS march in the St. Patrick’s Day parade and on promoting LGBTQ rights in Boston.

Tamar Ben-Ayun, 26, of Brighton, said she was glad the decision to ban OUTVETS from marching was reversed.

“The parade is supposed to be a celebration,” Ben-Ayun said. “People who have fought for our country … should be allowed to march just like anybody else.”

Sarah Hale, 36, of the South End, said she believes the Boston is progressive when it comes to LGBTQ issues.

“I think it’s great that we have a mayor and city officials who speak out about things that concern LGBTQ people, because it raises awareness for these kinds of issues,” Hale said.

Stephen Fink, 38, of the South End, expressed his happiness over the public outcry that led to OUTVETS being allowed to march in the parade.

“I’m glad that there was enough outrage towards the situation that the Mayor spoke out and they were able to get the decision reversed,” Fink said. “[The St. Patrick’s Day parade] is definitely a great Boston tradition that everyone should be allowed to be a part of.”