Women’s soccer plays to a scoreless draw in extra time against Lehigh

Graduate student Bloznalis will look to help her team continue their hot streak.PHOTO BY KELSEY CRONIN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s soccer team fought to a scoreless draw on the road against Lehigh University on Saturday evening. The Terriers (3-5-3, 1-0-1 Patriot League) utilized its patented stingy defense to frustrate Lehigh (5-2-3, 1-0-1 Patriot League) and move into a tie for fourth place in the conference.

The Terriers’ back line of defense held Lehigh to a modest two shots on goal, helping to control the pace of the game while continuing its recent trend of lockdown defensive play.

BU’s defense was led by graduate student Rachel Bloznalis and senior Alivya Wimmer. The duo was on the field for a majority of the overtime marathon, with playing for 105 minutes and 110 minutes respectively.

Under the leadership of its upperclassmen, the Terrier defense has quickly risen into contention to be one of the most formidable in the Patriot League early into conference play.

One of Terrier head coach Nancy Feldman’s top priorities this season was to continue BU’s culture of physical, aggressive defense. She said she was proud of the way the team stepped up to the plate today.

“That’s something we’ve prided ourselves on over the years,” Feldman said. “And I do believe the team has really committed to that up and down the field.”

BU had an equally tough time finding the back of the net, as it found itself pitted against one of the toughest goalkeepers in the conference is sophomore Sam Miller. The Terriers fired 16 shots while putting nine of those on net, yet Miller thwarted each attempt.

The performance can hardly be viewed as a letdown for the Terriers, as Lehigh entered the game as one of the better teams in the Patriot League.

However, Feldman noted post game, the Terriers’ would not back down from a tough Lehigh opponent, “I thought we fought hard today, and Lehigh’s one of the top teams, I’m sure they’ll be there at the end.”

With a 6-0 win over American University and a 1-0 win against Dartmouth College under their belt, the Terrier’s recorded a third consecutive shutout result.

Feldman said a tight defense can help open up opportunities on the attacking end, “You can generate a lot of attack off of your defending, and you can limit the other team’s opportunities. It’s a way to tip the game.”

Although the Terriers were unable to notch a goal against Lehigh, Feldman was content with her team’s performance.

“The other team plays very tight also defensively,” Feldman said. “It was hard to get separation, but I do like the way that our midfield is playing and I think our attacking players are much more aggressive.”

Today’s matchup with Lehigh also revealed another key issue the Terriers will need to fix headed into conference play. BU has struggled on the road so far this season, with losses to the University of Louisville, University of Cincinnati and Boston College coming to the forefront.

The Terriers will have a chance to regroup before this coming Wednesday when the team welcomes a Patriot League counterpart, the College of the Holy Cross, to Nickerson Field.

Despite improving greatly in recent weeks, Feldman said she sees many kinks to work out before conference play picks up in earnest.

“It’s just trying to continue to be consistent in moving the ball and staying poised,” Feldman said. “Transitioning quickly to create some goal-scoring chances off our defensive wins.”

While the Terriers appear to have a favorable schedule going forward, Feldman will not let her team get complacent.

“We’re a team that’s been a successful team in conference so they’ll certainly circle Boston University on their schedule,” Feldman said.