People with Projects: Technology’s response to hurricanes

Hurricane Maria, which hit Puerto Rico on Sept. 20 and left the entire country without power, is now finally getting the help and attention it deserves. And yes, it’s more than just throwing them “beautiful, soft … very good towels.”

Multiple technology companies are reaching out in attempt to help Puerto Rico replace its broken electric grid, if only temporarily. Included among those companies is Google. Their experimental venture, Project Loon, will strive to provide cellular service in Puerto Rico. By utilizing a communications system carried by balloon, Project Loon will be able to provide internet to the damaged country from 12 miles above Earth.

Google recently obtained a license from the Federal Communications Commission to launch these balloons, however, there doesn’t seem to be a set deployment date. Regardless, Google is encouraging cell phone carriers to cooperate with Project Loon, in hopes that people in Puerto Rico will be able to once again communicate with their loved ones.

I truly believe that the recent hurricane trauma stands as one of the biggest speakers to “old times versus new.” Sure, hurricanes are not a new issue. We’ve continuously battled against the tragedy and loss caused by them throughout history. But when we elect a president who denies humans influence on climate change, we contribute to the amplified intensity of each hurricane. And when we constantly reject Puerto Rico’s right to be represented in Congress, we leave them with no options for relief when their country is left in shambles. The only help Puerto Rico can get is from the U.S. government, because they have no neighboring states or cities to lend a hand. As a country, we have to stop fearing change and actually make some.

Until we change things in Washington though, new age technology will do its best to solve issues in ways never before possible. Although I wish the change in Congress could materialize sooner, I am thankful that advancements in technology are there to catch us when we fall.

When our president fails to respond appropriately to disaster, too busy throwing paper towels at cheering crowds, the tech world looks to both capitalize on opportunity for growth, and more importantly, to help citizens for the greater good. We saw this back during the 9/11 terrorist attacks, when scientists at the University of South Florida deployed search-and-rescue bots in New York City, and again after Hurricane Katrina, when Cisco Systems responded with communication kits.  Technology will always play a role in disaster relief. And thank God it keeps getting better — it seems that every day there is a new heartbreak to cope with in the United States.

Right now, we must play it smart and change what we can — starting at the individual level. Support green technology. Vote for presidential candidates who want to cut down on carbon dioxide emissions, or who even want to employ a carbon tax. It might not help our hurricane dilemma immediately, but in time, it will prevent worse ones. Look into the specifics of initiatives like Project Loon, and spread the word (as well as your opinions) about it. As much as I hate to admit it, Trump has what small percentage of the United States supporting him based only on groupthink, meaning that people will believe something or preach an idea merely because everyone else holds that certain view.

I hope to see more relief efforts like Project Loon in the future. In addition to its current task of helping those affected in Puerto Rico, the endeavor by Google sets a great example for our country’s youth. It embodies the importance of engineering and computer science in times of hardship. With any luck, these types of positive-impact projects can even draw more females into STEM careers. In the face of tragedy, this technological influence is one of the things I am most proud of as an American.