Fitness Tips for Average Chicks: Rome wasn’t built in a day

I haven’t properly worked out in about four months due to a pretty severe ankle injury, but now I’m finally getting back into it. Honestly, my workouts aren’t that hard, but frankly, that’s why I’m so frustrated. Most of the muscles in my right leg — which I wasn’t using at all for three months — wasted away, so I’ve had to slowly build them back up through physical therapy. My PT gym looks like a regular one: there are bikes, weights, ellipticals and so forth. Most of the PT patients there there show up in workout clothes, but for the type of stuff I do, I don’t really see the point in changing my outfit.

For my first few weeks of PT, most of the work I did was seated, doing things like picking up marbles with my toes and putting them into a jar. Honestly, I felt kind of silly and it was really discouraging because I felt like I should be able to do something more strenuous, something worthy of athletic clothes. However, after three weeks of PT, I’ve built up enough muscle to ride a stationary bike with resistance and walk around without my boot or crutch. It’s been really incredible to see real results in just a few weeks.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that consistency matters. Before my injury, there were times where I would go several weeks without working out and then hit the gym and go way too hard to try to make up for lost time. I would be disuadeded from going back with consistency because I would feel terrible after every hard workout — and the cycle would repeat itself.

Now I value consistency because even though I’ve been doing silly, seated exercises without breaking a sweat for weeks, I actually see tangible results. At this point in my life, I’m kind of an extreme case. If I didn’t do my “PT homework” every day, I wouldn’t be able to walk. However, it’s become clear to me that our bodies really do respond to small incremental changes in behavior.

Another thing I’ve learned is that it’s so important to be patient. We all know results don’t come instantly: there will be setbacks, and unfortunately, there are no quick fixes when it comes to our bodies. At the beginning of any type of lifestyle change, there will be disappointments. When I was able to walk for the first time after my injury, I walked around all day long, I was so excited! But the next day was hell and I couldn’t get out of bed because I was so sore. It sucked, but it forced me to go back to the basics and really restrain myself from doing something too strenuous before I was ready.

I often get self conscious about being so out of shape and about having a pretty limited number of workout options at the gym. But I’ve learned to accept that my body has limitations and there are some things out of my control. I can control my attitude, my wardrobe and my social media. One thing that’s been providing me with a huge boost is posting funny workout videos and my bomb exercise outfits on Snapchat and Instagram. Having my friends and people from my wider network smash that like button and send me supportive messages makes me feel good and want to keep going.

Getting back into a routine has been a bit of a rollercoaster. It’s fun, exciting, discouraging, painful and somewhat mundane all at the same time. But above all else, it’s doable. I’ve seen and felt my calf go from literal flab and atrophy to something that once again resembles a muscle. This didn’t happen overnight — I’ve spent weeks making small changes and doing small workouts where I didn’t even sweat, but I’ve literally rebuilt muscle in the process.

No matter where you’re starting, whether it’s been four weeks, four months or four years since your last workout, pace yourself. Do a little bit every day, keep yourself motivated by building a support network and celebrate progress. To all of y’all starting a new routine: we’ve got this.