Preview: Early Decision Class of 2022

Boston University’s undergraduate admissions staff have begun accepting students who applied for the incoming class of 2022. Those who were accepted early decision were notified in December.

Accepted students have already begun connecting with one another within the Official Boston University Class of 2022 Facebook group and other social media platforms, sharing information about themselves and their plans while studying at BU.

Students who have been accepted come from a variety of states and countries, spanning from Utah and Texas to the United Arab Emirates and Germany. The one aspect that all these students have in common, however, is that BU was their top choice for their college education.

Erika Luetjen, from Westford, Massachusetts, was among the students who were accepted early decision for the class of 2022. Luetjen is attending BU for its six-year accelerated bachelor of science in health studies/doctor of physical therapy program.

Luetjen said an important reason why she wanted to attend BU is the multitude of opportunities the Charles River Campus offers.

“Boston University was the only way to go for me because it’s got all the makings of an adventure,” Luetjen said. “The open campus merges the thrills of Boston living and top-notch academics into a phenomenal campus culture.”

Luetjen said that when she was accepted, she did what came naturally to her: she danced.

“I think dancing around a parking lot was an appropriate response to my acceptance, and I’m still dancing because I’m counting down the days until I can audition for a BU dance team and join the pep band.”

From Syracuse, New York, Joshua Lacey-Baldwin plans on studying biochemistry on a pre-med track. He said the moment he saw his admission decision in December made him feel happy and proud.

“When I got my acceptance online, the sense of euphoria I felt was indescribable,” Lacey-Baldwin said. “All of the hard work I put in throughout high school finally paid off and I felt so fulfilled.”

Grace Ferguson, from Salt Lake City, Utah, plans on majoring in journalism. Ferguson shared her thinking process for deciding to apply early decision.

“I knew from research that BU was a great school and had a good journalism program,” Ferguson said. “I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to apply early decision until I visited BU in October. By the end of the trip, I was sure that BU was my dream school.”

Ferguson said that while visiting BU, a blend of many different forces made her realize she was making the right choice for herself.

“All the students we met were enthusiastic about their classes and majors,” Ferguson said. “It’s hard to explain, but I just had a really good feeling about the campus and academics at BU.”

Moving to Boston from her hometown of Kaiserslautern, Germany, Lauryn Allen plans on majoring in political science, journalism or possibly double-majoring in both. Allen said applying early decision was an easy choice for her.

Going into my senior year, I knew one thing for certain: the most efficient way to ease the burden of college-oriented stress would be to apply to a school that offers an early decision program,” Allen said.

Allen said that as an international student, finding a university that could be a great fit can be a challenging experience.

Living in Europe, while exciting, put me at a bit of a disadvantage when trying to search for a college with the attributes most suited to reflect my needs,” Allen said. “It did not take long for me to come to the conclusion that Boston University was the place for me.”

From East Windsor Township, New Jersey, Kaitlyn Riggio is coming to BU to study journalism. Riggio was drawn to BU for its communication programs, and said her tour of the campus made it feel like home early on.

“I was over the moon when I was accepted,” Riggio said. “It felt like all of my dreams were coming true, and it still doesn’t feel totally real yet.”

Ghassan Najjar, from Lebanon, but currently living in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, is planning on majoring in political science at BU.

Najjar shared what happened when he found out he was accepted.

“I was in the middle of English class,” Najjar said. “I screamed a big ‘Yes!’ [and I] let out a huge sigh of relief and hugged all my best friends and teachers. I cannot wait to join the class of 2022 and attend my political science classes.”

Ilana Ovental, from Forest Hills, New York, plans on majoring in political science at BU. Ovental, like many who applied early decision, said that visiting the school played a significant role in her decision to apply.

“I applied early decision to BU because when I saw myself in college, I saw myself walking down Commonwealth Avenue,” Ovental said. “The freedom, along with the tight community, was greatly noticed when I visited the school, and I thought that was a very unique quality.”