FreeP vs. Food: Hot Chocolate

L.A. Burdick

We were excited for our first stop, since we’d heard that L.A. Burdick was named one of the best hot chocolate shops in America. Walking through Boston’s iconic Back Bay neighborhood, we instantly recognized L.A. Burdick’s French shabby-chic exterior standing between Copley Square and Newbury Street. Once we entered, we were immediately transported to the interior of a picturesque European villa-style home, still holding the sophistication that French chocolatiers are known for. As we crowded around the wood-paneled tables, sandwiched between happy, bubbly patrons, it was easy to understand why this is a frequent stop for customers after a day of sightseeing or ice skating. It’s the perfect way to end a day of winter New England weather.

While the aesthetics and warm ambiance were all part of the experience, our cup of Burdick Blend Milk Drinking Chocolate, ringing up at $6.00, was obviously the main event. Its frothy, dense texture shocked our senses. Its impressive thickness seemed to match its decadent taste of concentrated cocoa that, upon further investigation, purportedly comes from the exotic islands of Grenada. This might explain the robust, chocolate aftertaste, sensuous with a velvety finish of milk. Although for some it may seem like sensory overload, those who look for memorable gastronomical experiences should make their way to L.A. Burdick’s.

Grade:

Maggie: A-

Sabrina: A

Allegra: A

Estefania: A+

The Taza Chocolate Bar

Amid the hustle and bustle of the Boston Public Market, The Taza Chocolate Bar is a bright, small fixture near the corner closest to Congress Street. Its wood paneled stand is painted a light turquoise color, and could easily be found on the streets of Sayulita, Mexico. They sell churros and empanadas as well as chocolate, produced at their factory in Somerville. Approaching Taza, we noticed a strange but enticing sight at the espresso bar. That day, Taza had introduced their “Cocoa Cuz Yolo” hot chocolate.

Cocoa Cuz Yolo is loaded with local sweet treats such as a Sweet Lydia’s Marshmallow, Q’s sweet roasted nuts, a Red Apple Farm cider donut, a Union Square donut hole and whipped cream. We had to have it. Priced at $8.99, the hot chocolate itself wasn’t very thick, but it was milky sweet, and the grainy texture highlighted the cacao that melted in our mouths. It held a softer sweetness than the other hot chocolates that we tried, and the aftertaste was laced with a nutty, coffee-like flavor. Though Cocoa Cuz Yolo was only available for five hours on that cold January day, we would come back just for the ambiance of the market and its deliciously complex hot chocolate.

Grade:

Maggie: B+

Allegra: A-

Sabrina: A-

Estefania: A-

Ghirardelli

Located near Faneuil Hall, Ghirardelli is a two-story ice cream and chocolate shop. The famous San Francisco-based chocolate company greeted us with free samples of their Strawberry Bark chocolate square. We walked past the chocolate on display to the back of the shop to order the classic Ghirardelli Hot Cocoa, topped with whipped cream. We found a table on the spacious second floor, designed for customers to sit down and enjoy food and beverages from the cafe. The wallpaper depicted San Francisco’s Ghirardelli Square, and after waiting for a few minutes, a waiter served us our hot chocolate in a plain white mug.

Overall, the classic Ghirardelli Hot Cocoa was really a “classic.” It tasted plain. However, unlike L.A. Burdick and Taza, we all agreed that we could probably each finish Ghirardelli’s hot chocolate on our own without feeling overwhelmed. The hot chocolate was creamy, giving it a smooth texture, but didn’t have a strong cocoa bean taste compared to the other locations we visited. However, the taste had the perfect balance; it was neither too sweet nor too bitter. At $5.25, it was one of the cheaper options, but ultimately not worth the journey out to Faneuil Hall.

Grade:

Maggie: A-

Sabrina: A-

Allegra: B

Estefania: B

The Paris Creperie

Situated in Coolidge Corner, The Paris Creperie has a European vibe inside: crowded and vibrant, with people excitedly grabbing a quick bite. We were only there for hot chocolate, but other patrons had delicious-looking crepes and sandwiches. As we approached the counter to order our fourth and final hot chocolate of the journey, we saw that Paris Creperie offered a Nutella Hot Chocolate, which sounded too good to turn down. We purchased a small cup for $3.79 but a large was less than a dollar more, making this the most cost-effective cup of cocoa we sampled.

Nutella made for a light and airy yet perfectly creamy cup of hot chocolate. The liquid was thick but not too rich, making it possible to finish a whole mug. It was classically delicious, but there was a definite twist that came with the added flavor of hazelnut. As expected, there was a sprinkle of cocoa powder on top and a pleasant, nutty aftertaste. Sitting in the tiny, bustling shop, with its wrought iron chairs and framed French posters on the walls, it’s easy to forget that you’re sitting in Boston, not Paris.

Grade:

Maggie: A

Sabrina: B+

Allegra: B+

Estefania: A