Wake Me Up Boston: Finally 21, so now what?

Last week I turned the almighty age of 21. I officially entered a new realm of adulthood, perhaps the most permanent turning point in the transition to my twenties. I should have felt the presence of a newfound life of freedom.

Twenty-one is believed to be so much more than just an age — it’s a highly anticipated monumental milestone signifying one’s “formal” entry into the real world. Yet I never really understood the hype, and quite honestly I still don’t.

I must admit that despite the extensive week-long celebration of my 21-ness, I still feel frustratingly and utterly the same. I feel the same way I felt as a 20-year-old, which is also how I felt at 18 and 16.

Except this time that dreadful, god-awful realization has kicked in with full force — the thought this birthday might very well have been the last birthday I will have to truly look forward to. No longer will I have to impatiently wait to gain access to another privilege that comes with an age, cheerfully counting down the days.

The novelty of birthdays is over. Done. Finito. After 21, what really is the fun in getting older?

Maybe it’s all the “it only goes downhill from here” comments, the half-joking, half-rhetorical remarks from peers and superiors that make me start to question the truth behind the statement. The society in which we live has unfortunately created unrealistic expectations surrounding where we should be in our lives when we reach a certain age, expectations that simply cannot always be met at such definitive moments.

Why does an age have to serve as the end-all, be-all? This is especially true of 21, which comes with its own set of established norms that we all naturally come to accept as a way of life.

As a 21-year-old, it’s easy to fall into the trap, becoming the epitome of a society-imposed stereotype. Yes, I have reached the legal drinking age and have now unlocked the coveted ability to explore another side of life as freely as I please, but at the same time, that’s all that has changed.

I now have the option to enjoy “adult” experiences, and I’m tasked with the freedom to make decisions that were otherwise always chosen for me. A noteworthy concept but not the determining factor of my maturity.

I’m not ready to say goodbye to my youth, and I imagine I won’t be for quite some time. Instead of viewing my 21st birthday as the significant marker of the conclusion of my youth, I’d rather take some of the pressure off and define the meaning myself.

There are so many more firsts to be had, past the limits of what 21 can offer. My first job offer, my first move, my first house and my college graduation. There are far many more milestones I will reach that don’t have a number attached.

Coffee is my lifeline, every morning, afternoon and night—and occasionally in between. Find me café hopping with my nose buried in a book and a cappuccino by my side for good company. I’ll never pass up a chance to explore this adventure-packed city and its unique, bustling yet mellow culture.