Flick Critique: Worst Best Picture snubs of all time

The Academy Awards are a time of recognition to the best films of the year. Sometimes, however, the winners can come at a surprise to audiences. From this year’s controversial winners, such as “Green Book” for Best Picture, to Glenn Close leaving the Oscars empty-handed for the seventh time, the Academy Awards have made some questionable calls — some definitely more memorable and controversial than others.

Considered one the most memorable of all Oscar snubs is the 1994 Best Picture award, where “Forrest Gump” won. While “Forrest Gump” is recognized as one of the most iconic works of film of all time, many viewers debate whether it actually deserved the prestigious award, especially as it went up against classics such as “Pulp Fiction” and “The Shawshank Redemption.”

The 1994 Academy Awards were overall less controversial. With performances from the amazing Morgan Freeman in “Shawshank Redemption” to the pop culture influences still seen to this day from “Pulp Fiction,” “Forrest Gump” has been regarded as a great film — but simply not as good as its main contenders.

This level of controversy was upped at the 1999 Oscars, when “Shakespeare in Love” beat out “Elizabeth,” “Life is Beautiful,” “Saving Private Ryan” and “The Thin Red Line.” Many viewers cannot help but wonder how the Best Picture could have been awarded to a movie whose win was more surprising and memorable than the movie.

Perhaps the rumors that the film’s success was mostly due to Harvey Weinstein’s influence are correct.

“Shakespeare in Love” has been bashed ever since the 1999 Oscars for its less-than-meritorious win and Gwyneth Paltrow’s awkward Best Actress acceptance speech — especially after all of the scandals surrounding Weinstein and since it went against the iconic “Saving Private Ryan.”

Nonetheless, “Saving Private Ryan” has managed to establish itself as a cult classic and one of the most influential films in American history, somewhat trying to erase the shameful Oscars and its painful snub.

2006 was arguably the most controversial Oscar snub ever since the turn of the century when “Brokeback Mountain” and “Capote” lost out to the most underwhelming film “Crash.” Audiences saw “Brokeback Mountain” as a turning point from the more traditional Oscars, as the LGBTQ+ community was finally represented and recognized.

Audiences were even more shocked when Ang Lee, the director of “Brokeback Mountain,” won for Best Director.

With heart-wrenching performances from a talented cast, 2006 remains one of the most disappointing years for the Oscars for their sometimes more conservative and traditional picks over touching films.

“Capote” also suffered from a snub in the same category, as the biopic was not chosen by the Academy. While Philip Seymour Hoffman snagged the Actor in a Leading Role award, many saw the actual competition to be between “Capote” and “Brokeback Mountain.”

“How Green Was My Valley” proved to be another forgettable Best Picture winner, especially considering that it won over Orson Welles’ “Citizen Kane.” Often regarded as the best film of all time, viewers today may find it unbelievable that “Citizen Kane” lost to an unmemorable relic.

Nonetheless, fans of cinema have given Welles the recognition he deserves throughout the years, constantly referring to the director as one of the most influential filmmakers of all time.

Evidently, the Oscars are bound to stir up controversy from viewers who simply disagree with the chosen winners. From undeserving bought-out winners to tight races between several great films, if any category has been the source of debate, it has been the prestigious Best Picture category.

However, it is important to remember the true essence of the Oscars: coming together to acknowledge the world of film and recognize the key players in keeping such an important art form alive.

My name is Victoria Lara and I am a sophomore Biomedical Engineering student on the Pre-Medical track. I love watching films and I am passionate about social change. Follow me on Twitter @victoriaa_lara.