Lifestyle

Obsessions of the month | Maia’s Inner Monologue

Dear lovely readers, 

Welcome back! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday break, took advantage of the opportunity to relax with loved ones and recharged your busy minds.

I’m so thrilled to be back with you. After all, these goofy little pieces serve as my personal outlet. Despite the one-sided nature of our interactions, it truly feels like an ongoing conversation, and I hope you feel the same way.

Lila Baltaxe | Senior Graphic Artist

As I began this new semester, I spent some time reflecting on how I launched my column in October with a piece titled: “Obsessions of the week,” which, as you can clearly tell by the name, dove into the things that enthralled me at the time. 

It only seems natural to me that in this first piece of the semester, I share my fixations of the month. Trust me, there have been many.

I still believe that having healthy obsessions can make life feel a little lighter at times — and let me emphasize the word “healthy.”

I am not encouraging harmful fixations, such as those on other people or excessive pressure on oneself. I’m talking about lighthearted passions and fixations, such as a type of music or a beloved TV show — you get the point. 

Rest assured, there have been a plethora of new obsessions in my life this month. What follows is just a glimpse into the myriad of things that have recently captured my fascination: 

Mitski 

It feels appropriate to describe my infatuation with Mitski as a musical love affair. Her music has slowly but surely knitted itself into my daily life. 

Sure, I may sound dramatic, but as someone who is completely entrenched in all things music, Mitski’s passionate lyrics and eccentric melodies provide me with genuine comfort. 

Mitski’s music has become an integral part of my daily routine, accompanying me as I work on my news writing homework, embark on journeys to class and BU On Broadway rehearsal and embrace the warmth of the shower.  

Although some might label Mitski’s work as inherently “sad,” I perceive a profound sense of peace rather than sorrow in her music. During winter break, my friends took away my aux privileges, saying that the music I play is too “depressing,” (I’m talking to you, Liv and Emily). I’m still salty. 

But to me, it’s quite the opposite. 

Mitski’s music exudes an ethereal beauty, navigating the intricacies of human emotion and transforming what could be seen as tragic into a therapeutic experience. 

Navigating my emotions has become more manageable through Mitski’s music, and I find peace in the ebb and flow of her songs.  

Mitski’s musicianship shines so bright, proving that she can evoke a sense of tranquility and steer clear of any feelings of melancholy without the lively tempos of other pop artists. 

If you’ve never listened to Mitski before, start with “First Love/Late Spring.” It’s my favorite at the moment! I may or may not be listening to it right now as I write this. 

Rot Day

When asked to describe myself, I’d say I’m mainly extroverted and thrive in social settings about 80% of the time. 

As an extrovert, I find immense pleasure in social interactions and draw energy from the company of others. However, this is not to say that I don’t value time alone. 

There’s a weekly ritual my roommate Maggie Schneider and I invented that we hold dear to our hearts — our “Rot Day.” 

This is the one day a week I allow myself to stay in bed all day and cast aside all responsibilities. It’s a sacred time for me and my best friend to indulge in binge-watching “Sex and the City” and savor our favorite meals from The Cheesecake Factory. 

Rot Day is a holiday in the Penzer and Schneider household. On this day, we can do anything we want, whenever we want. Rot Day usually takes place on a Saturday or Sunday when we have no class or prior commitments. 

Rot Day has become an essential component of my well-being. In the midst of a fast-paced and socially-charged city, this intentional pause provides a much-needed reset for my mental health. It’s a day when I unapologetically prioritize self-care and realize the importance of taking a break to recharge. 

The simplicity and freedom that Rot Day offers are what make it so enjoyable. This break from the stress of daily life allows me to rest, recharge and reflect. It has evolved into a therapeutic practice, and provides one second of peace in a world that requires constant movement.

Obsessing over Rot Day isn’t about embracing laziness — it’s about acknowledging the importance of slowing down and taking care of YOU. The deliberate act of carving out time has been an effective tool for achieving a healthy balance between my extroverted social interactions and the need for alone time. 

So, if you haven’t already, schedule a Rot Day for yourself. The only rules are to watch your favorite TV show or movie, eat your favorite foods and spend the entire day in your pajamas. Everything else is up to you! 

As always, thank you for joining me on this journey of introspection. Here’s to a new month filled with healthy obsessions, self-care and ongoing conversations. 

Until next time,

Maia