Arts & Entertainment, Community, Features

Harvard Square painted pink in night of celebration, support for breast cancer survivors

People walk around Brattle Street during Paint the Square PINK on Friday. Paint the Square PINK is a block party hosted by the Harvard Square Business Association in partnership with the American Cancer Society to honor breast cancer survivors. COURTESY OF HARVARD SQUARE BUSINESS ASSOCIATION

Brattle Street in Cambridge transformed into a sea of pink on Saturday as attendees enjoyed live music, sipped pink wines and browsed through tables selling unique items — all in support of a meaningful cause.

The Paint the Square PINK Block Party in Harvard Square, a celebration in support of breast cancer survivors, was held by the Harvard Square Business Association in partnership with the American Cancer Society.

Denise Jillson, executive director for the Harvard Business Association, said the idea for the pink party originated when the American Cancer Society proposed an outdoor celebration for breast cancer survivors.

“This is a horrible disease, and we’re seeing great improvements in healthcare and in treatment, and that’s something worthy of celebration,” Jillson said.

The event was originally scheduled for June 14, but was postponed twice due to rain. The organizers persisted and moved the date once more to Friday, Sept. 13.

“Third time’s the charm for tonight, because the weather is perfect,” Jillson said.

In addition to providing resources to survivors and those currently fighting cancer, the free event featured live music, a pink inflatable chair for photo opportunities and a wine garden sponsored by the Commonwealth Wine School.

The event was also an opportunity for small businesses to display their unique products. A portion of their sales contributed to Making Strides of Boston, a walk that fundraises for breast cancer research and treatment. The walk is part of the national movement Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and will take place Oct. 5.

One of these businesses was Ninawa Zero-Waste Clothes, run by Aelen Unan, a fashion designer who upcycles unwanted textile materials into eco-friendly, reusable tote-bags and sustainable clothes.

Unan said she wanted to participate in the block party because of her dedication to “women’s health but also spreading awareness about cancer.”

She said Paint the Square PINK offers support to individuals and families affected by cancer by making resources available to help them and their loved ones.

“If they have a family member suffering from any kind of cancer, when they participate in these events, they find it easier to talk about their experiences,” she said.

Elaine Cesar, an attendee who is currently battling cancer, said the event is “crucial” to spread awareness of the fight against breast cancer.

“I think it’s good because some people don’t have any idea what’s going on in your body, and [if] you come here, you can learn,” she said.

She encouraged those who might be similarly battling cancer to stay strong and positive.

“You just have to fight and believe you can do it,” Cesar said.

Her wife, Katie Cesar, who attended the event with her, added, “Don’t let it get to your mind.”

Unan said that events like Paint the Square PINK are vital for supporting those struggling with breast cancer.

“When we hear about cancer, it’s very heavy,” Unan said. “But when there’s music, there’s vendors, there’s pink color … people can take it more easily.”